Romaine lettuce is a cool and refreshing snack. But it's overlooked because most people assume it has to be eaten out of a bowl as part of a salad -- and that's not necessary.
In its original form, romaine lettuce can be pulled one large leaf at a time from a stalk, just like celery. Because the center vein of each leaf is crisp, it's great for dipping in humus or eaten plain. What can it do for you? Among many other things, it can give your body folate, which contributes to a healthy memory. School certainly requires a lot of memorization, so don't forget this underrated food [source: Moreno].
There's no magic pill that'll make you smarter or immediately alert but, still, the impact of healthy foods on mental health is noticeable and substantial. With healthy foods like these you'll notice that your body is, truly, fueling your mind.
- Gillman, Steve. "70 Ways to Increase Your Brain Power." (Aug. 13, 2012) http://www.mindpowernews.com/BrainPower.htm
- Hazell, Kyrsty. "Brain-Boosting Foods to Fuel Concentration and Keep Your Brain Sharp." June 11, 2011. (Aug. 13, 2012) http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/11/16/brain-boosting-foods-that-increase-concentration_n_1096824.html#slide=476899
- Lawrence, Star. "Eat to Boost Mental Alertness." Medicine Net.com. (Aug. 13, 2012) http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56583&page=2
- Loh, Andrew. "Important Brain Foods for Your Child." Brainy Child. (Aug. 13, 2012) http://www.brainy-child.com/article/brain-foods.shtml
- Mayo Clinic. "Healthy Eating: What are legumes anyway?" (Aug. 13, 2012) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/health-tip/HT00558/rss=6
- Moreno, Michael Rafael, M.D. "Try These 17 Brain-Boosting Foods." May 24, 2011. (Aug. 13, 2012) http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/try-these-17-brain-boosting-foods-2488106.html
- Online University. "20 Foods That Will Increase Your Studying Effectiveness." (Aug. 13, 2012) http://www.onlineuniversity.net/20-foods-that-will-increase-your-studying-effectiveness/
- UC Santa Cruz Student Housing. "Eating Strategies For Exam-time." (Aug. 13, 2012) http://www.housing.ucsc.edu/dining/pdf/exam-time.pdf
- University World News. "Student Use of Stimulants for Cognitive Enhancement." July 8, 2012. (Aug. 13, 2012) http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20120703142444718
- WebMD. "A Diet to Boost Your Mood and Energy Level." (Aug. 13, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-energy-mood-boost-diet
HowStuffWorks takes a look at some fruits that have a lot of sugar, including mangoes and pineapples.