It's the next best thing to starting the year off with a bang. You can start it off with a pop. While popcorn cooked in heavily processed oils and coated with butter and salt is certainly not on the school's food pyramid, there's nothing wrong with air-popped corn or popcorn cooked in extra virgin coconut oil.
In fact, there's a lot right with it. Popcorn contains fiber, while extra virgin coconut oil -- once considered a movie theater villain -- can promote weight loss and increase healthy cholesterol. Pack some fresh-made popcorn in a bag for your child's snack time treat. He'll think he's still on summer break [source: Vowles].
- Applegate, Liz. "The Best Foods for Runners." Runners World. Sept. 6, 2006. (Aug. 14, 2012) http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-301--10200-0,00.html
- Furore, Kathleen. "Summer Arrivals." Produce Retailer. June 1, 2011. (Aug. 14, 2012) http://www.produceretailer.com/produce-retailer-research/summer_arrivals_123000663.html
- Harris, Jennifer L., PhD, MBA. Graff, Samantha K., JD. "Protecting Children From Harmful Food Marketing." September 2001. (Aug. 14, 2012) http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2011/sep/10_0272.htm
- Online University. "20 Foods That Will Increase Your Studying Effectiveness." (Aug. 14, 2012) http://www.onlineuniversity.net/20-foods-that-will-increase-your-studying-effectiveness/
- Real Age. "Keep Skin Smooth with This Creamy Snack." (Aug. 14, 2012) http://www.realage.com/health-tips/foods-good-for-your-skin-include-chickpeas
- UC Santa Cruz Student Housing. "Eating Strategies For Exam-time." (Aug. 14, 2012) http://www.housing.ucsc.edu/dining/pdf/exam-time.pdf
- Vowles, Amy. "10 Great Ways To Cook With Coconut Oil." She Knows Chef Mom. (Aug. 14, 2012) http://chefmom.sheknows.com/articles/822719/10-great-ways-to-cook-with-coconut-oil
HowStuffWorks finds out why so many calories are consumed at the office and what can be done about it.