Who says a marinade can't infuse your chicken with a little fun? This recipe uses frozen lemonade, plus a few other ingredients that you probably have on hand, to add a distinctive flavor to chicken breasts. Paired with a summer squash medley, this chicken is the star of a simple summer meal.
1 can (6 ounces or 170 grams) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1/4 cup white wine Worcestershire sauce
6 tablespoons water, divided
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 pounds (1.4 kilograms) skinless chicken pieces (breasts, legs, thighs)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Combine lemonade concentrate, Worcestershire, 2 tablespoons water, vinegar, rosemary and garlic in large resealable food storage bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour or overnight, turning bag occasionally.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (176 degrees Celsius). Remove chicken; reserve marinade. Place chicken on rack in roasting pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake covered 50 to 55 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear.
Meanwhile, bring reserved marinade to a boil in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil marinade, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Combine cornstarch and 4 remaining tablespoons water in small bowl; stir until smooth. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into marinade. Cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
Transfer chicken to serving plate. Garnish with rosemary sprigs and lemon slices, if desired. Serve sauce on the side.
- TLC Cooking. "10 Must-have Marinades, Brines and Barbecue Rubs." (May 7, 2010) https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/food-facts/10-must-have-marinades-brines-and-barbecue-rubs.htm
- TLC Cooking. "Barbecued Chicken with Chili-Orange Glaze." (May 7, 2010) https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/barbecued-chicken-with-chili-orange-glaze-recipe.htm
- TLC Cooking. "Chicken Fajitas." (May 7, 2010) https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/chicken-fajitas-a-recipe.htm
- TLC Cooking. "Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce." (May 7, 2010) https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/chicken-satay-with-peanut-sauce-recipe.htm
- "Portuguese Piri-Piri Chicken." Food.com. December 29, 2001. (Jan. 25, 2012.) http://www.food.com/recipe/portuguese-piri-piri-chicken-16386.
- Garten, Ina. "Chicken Marinade." Food Network.com. 2010. (Jan. 25, 2012.) http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/chicken-marinade-recipe/index.html
- "Jerk Chicken." Gourmet. May 2002. (Jan. 25, 2012.) http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Grilled-Jerk-Chicken-106516.
- Marchetti, Domenica. "Quick Tandoori Chicken Thighs." Fine Cooking.com. July 9, 2009. (Jan. 25, 2012.) http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/quick-tandoori-chicken-thighs.aspx
- Middleton, Susie. "Moist Mustard-Rosemary Chicken for a Crowd." Fine Cooking. July 1, 2004. (Jan. 25, 2012.) http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/moist-rosemary-chicken-for-a-crowd.aspx
- Patrick, Ron. "Chicken Breast Fillets in Root Beer Marinade." Food Network.com. (Jan. 25, 2012.) http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/follow-that-food/chicken-breast-fillets-in-root-beer-marinade-recipe/index.html.
- "Piri-Piri Chicken." Congo Cookbook.com. http://www.congocookbook.com/chicken_recipes/piri_piri_chicken.html.
HowStuffWorks explores whether posting calories on the menu helps consumers make better food choices.