Sometimes, a special steak calls for special ingredients. Other times, everything you need is already in your kitchen.
Scientists did a test on this particular recipe and found it to reduce cancer-causing toxins by 88 percent, and it's as simple as it gets [source: Bastyr]. It starts with a bit of oil (the study used soybean), water and white vinegar. Then you turn to the spice rack and add as much as you like of thyme, red pepper, black pepper, allspice, rosemary and chives.
Coat the steak with this mixture, marinate for at least two hours, and throw it on the grill! In addition to reducing HLAs, the rosemary and black pepper may improve digestive health, red pepper may improve cholesterol levels, and chives are a good source of vitamin C, which has a whole slew of health benefits.
And there you go -- no need to give up red meat. With a little preparation, healthy eating can easily include a nice, grilled steak. Just start early, choose low-fat ingredients, and by all means, marinate well. The more flavor the better.
For more information on grilling, steak recipes and related topics, look over the links below.
- Brett, Jennifer, ND. "Horseradish: Herbal Remedies." HowStuffWorks.https://health.howstuffworks.com/horseradish-herbal-remedies.htm
- Healthy Steak Recipes and Cooking Tips. Eating Well.http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_steak_recipes
- Horseradish Flank Steak. Heart Healthy Living.http://my.hearthealthyonline.com/recipe/beef/horseradish-flank-steak/
- Magee, Elaine, MPH, RD. "The Magic of Marinades." MedicineNet.http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=62947
- Meat Marinades: More Than Meets the Eye. Bastyr Center for Natural Health. October 23, 2008.http://bastyrcenter.org/content/view/1491/
- Shea, Lisa. "Low Carb Site: Coriander and Garlic Marinade." BellaOnline.http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art18415.asp
- The Way to Grill a Healthy Steak. Oprah.http://www.oprah.com/food/The-Way-to-Grill-a-Healthy-Steak
HowStuffWorks explores whether posting calories on the menu helps consumers make better food choices.