Seafood, including fish and shellfish, is about as healthy as a food class gets. High in omega-3s, low in fat and calories, and swimming in protein, iron and B-vitamins, foods like shrimp, salmon, trout and lobster will wow your guests while filling them with nutrients.
The trick, of course, is to leave out all the cheesy, battered, fried and buttered extras that battle those nutrients for control. Even without all that, seafood is so versatile the options are pretty endless. Here's a start:
- Shrimp cocktail
- Smoked salmon, trout or tuna on crostini
- Sushi, sashimi and rolls
- Barbecued or broiled, olive-oil-brushed shrimp or salmon skewers (interspersed with zucchini, onions and/or tomatoes)
- Steamed whole salmon, chilled and served with light dill sauce
- Lobster or white-fish ceviche
- Steamed oysters with horseradish, lemon juice and/or cocktail sauce
All healthy, light and perfect party fare. Still, if the high-fat party classics are just too good to give up, don't worry ...