Bikini Waxing Isn't Risk-Free
Your pubic hair has an important purpose: It protects you. Your delicate skin needs a buffer to keep away bacteria.
A bikini wax takes away that protection. For people with conditions that weaken their immune system, such as diabetes, Brazilian waxes aren't recommended. If you're otherwise in good health, the risks are scarring, folliculitis and ingrown hairs. It's also possible to pick up a staph infection, so if you notice skin irritation that doesn't look quite right or doesn't seem to be clearing up, call a dermatologist and get it looked at.
The risk of infection is the best reason to do research on the salon you're going to. Spotless conditions, no "double dipping" with the spatula, evidence of hand washing -- these are qualities any reputable waxing establishment should have. If you're uncomfortable with anything, speak up or walk out. A sleek bikini line isn't worth risking your health.
- Ask Men. "Hair Removal Trends for Men." (Accessed 8/15/09)http://www.askmen.com/fashion/trends_100/103_fashion_men.html
- Barba, Alicia. "Nonlaser Hair Removal Techniques." eMedince. May 28, 2008. (Accessed 08/26/2009). http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1067139-overview
- Carrillo, Sarah. "The Dos and Don'ts of At-Home Waxing." Total Beauty. (Accessed 8/16/09)http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/gallery/p-at-home-waxing
- Cardellino, Carly. "Do bikini waxes spread STDs?" Shape. August, 2009. Findarticles. (Accessed 8/17/09)http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0846/is_/ai_n32429307/
- Dendle, Claire, et al. "Severe Complications of a 'Brazilian' Bikini Wax." Clinical Infectious Diseases. 8/1/07. (Accessed 8/16/08)http://www.labmeeting.com/paper/9174262/dendle-2007-severe-complications-of-a-brazilian-bikini-wax
- Glamour. "Bikini Waxing: Could It Be Dangerous to Your Health?" 3/25/09. (Accessed 8/16/09) http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/blogs/vitamin-g/2009/03/bikini-waxing-could-it-be-dang.html
- Goins, Liesa. "Fuzz Busters." Women's Health. (Accessed 8/16/09)http://www.womenshealthmag.com/beauty-and-style/shaving-and-waxing-tips?page=2
- Hirsch, Larissa MD. "Hair Removal." Kid's Health. Jan. 2008. (accessed 08/25/2009)http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_body/skin_stuff/hair_removal.html#
- Jaret, Peter. "Locking in that Shaven (or Unshaven) Look." Sept. 29, 2005. (Accessed 9/10/09)http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/29/fashion/thursdaystyles/29skin.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
- MSNBC. "N.J. Scraps Plans to Ban Genital Waxing." March. 20, 2009. (Accessed 8/17/09) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29797548/
- MSNBC. "Ow! Beware of bikini wax mishaps." Aug. 4, 2009. (Accessed 8/17/09) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31144530/ns/health-womens_health/
- New Zealand Dermatological Society Incorporated. "Waxing." DermNet NZ. Dec. 24, 2007. (Accessed 9/10/09)http://w.dermnetnz.org/procedures/pdf/waxing-dermnetnz.pdf
- Skincare-News. At Home Waxing: An Inexpensive Alternative." 5/20/09. (Accessed 8/16/09)http://www.skincare-news.com/a-5993-at-Home_Waxing_An_Inexpensive_Alternative_.aspx
- Sorgen, Carol. "Intimate Grooming: What You Need to Know." WebMD. (Accessed 8/26/09)http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/intimate-grooming-what-you-need-know
- University of California, Santa Barbara. "The Brazilian Bikini Wax." SexInfo. 5/31/08. (Accessed 8/25/09)http://www.soc.ucsb.edu/sexinfo/article/the-brazilian-bikini-wax
What in the world do you wipe with when you're totally out of toilet paper? You can try one of these alternatives.