Stick With It
The hardest part of your journey won't be your final set of an intense workout or keeping up with your diet, but simply showing the necessary patience and discipline. Going from skinny to buff takes time. There'll be days when it seems easier to skip the routine. It's in those moments that you have to buckle down.
It'll help to take small steps. Rather than focus on gaining 20 pounds (9 kilograms) of muscle, go for 5 pounds (2 kilograms) at a time. You'll reach your goal faster and be more motivated to stick with the plan. Commend yourself for the things you've done rather than all that you have left to finish. It's all about perspective.
Finally, have fun with it and know you're not only getting buff but you're laying the foundation for a lifestyle that'll keep you healthy for years to come.
- Body Building. "Muscle Building Guide: Muscle Building Supplements." 2010. (March 24, 2011)http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/musclegain.htm
- Campbell, Adam. Men's Health. "8 Foods that Pack on Muscle." 2011. (March 24, 2011)http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/foods_that_build_muscle/
- Haycock, Brian. "The Skinny on Getting Big." Dec. 7, 2004. (March 24, 2011)http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/muscle-building-2
- Men's Health. "Get buff for your summer holiday." 2010. (March 24, 2011)http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-muscle/get-big/get-buff-for-your-summer-holiday-336561
- Muscle Building Programs. "How Skinny Guys Can Build Muscle." 2010. (March 24, 2011)http://musclebuildingprograms.org/36/how-skinny-guys-can-build-muscle/
- Muscle Hack. "How to Build Muscle Mass Fast." June 2008. (March 24, 2011)http://www.musclehack.com/how-to-build-muscle-mass-fast-complete-guide/
- Sports Shoes. "The importance of being hydrated." 2011. (March 24, 2011)http://www.sportsshoes.com/advice/running/the-importance-of-being-hydrated/
- Stenson, Jacqueline. "Bulking up without 'the juice'." March 2006. (March 24, 2011)http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11746665/ns/health-fitness/
- Strong Lifts. "How to Build Muscle: The Definitive Guide to Building Muscle." May 2008. (April 3, 2011).http://stronglifts.com/how-to-build-muscle-mass-guide/
- Tsang, Gloria. Health Castle. "What are Empty Calories?" September 2007. (March 24, 2011)http://www.healthcastle.com/empty-calories-foods.shtml
HowStuffWorks looks at a study linking time spent with childhood friends with improved outcomes in men's health.