Eat Right and Exercise
Eating a healthy diet is the only way to truly nourish hair. Substances applied from the outside can only improve appearance and texture.
Hair needs the same spectrum of nutrients as the rest of the body, and some are especially beneficial. For example, hair is largely protein. Meat and dairy foods pack the most protein punch, with soy foods running a close second. Biotin, a B vitamin, promotes softness and strength. It's found in brown rice, leafy greens and eggs. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish and nuts are especially good for the scalp. Getting enough fluid in both food and drink is also essential to handsome hair.
And exercise? It increases the blood flow, delivering all those nutrients to your scalp -- which, you'll remember, is where healthy hair starts.
- Benabio, Jeffrey. "5 Tips for Growing Healthy, Beautiful Hair." June 27, 2008 (Feb. 15, 2011) http://thedermblog.com/2008/06/27/5-tips-for-growing-healthy-beautiful-hair/
- Bouchez, Colette. "The ABCs of Summer Hair Repair." Aug. 19, 2004 (Feb. 16, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/the-abcs-of-summer-hair-repair
- Goins, Leisa. "Shampoo, Shampoo Everywhere -- But Which One's Right For Your Hair?" Aug. 24, 2009 (Feb. 16, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/shampoo-shampoo-everywhere-but-which-ones-right-for-your-hair_ Hatfield, Heather. "8 Ways You're Damaging Your Hair." Nov. 14, 2008 (Feb. 15, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/8-ways-youre-damaging-your-hair
- Murray's, Inc. "Tips." (Feb. 21, 2011) http://www.murrayspomade.com/tips.php
- L'Oreal."Unexpected Properties of Hair." (Feb. 17, 2011) http://www.hair-science.com/_int/_en/topic/topic_sousrub.aspx?tc=ROOT-HAIR^SO-STURDY-SO-FRAGILE^PROPERTIES-OF-HAIR&cur=PROPERTIES-OF-HAIR#HAIR-AND-WATER
- Parab, Priyanka. "Hair Gel -- To Apply or Not to Apply?" (Feb. 21, 2011) http://www.medimanage.com/my-looks/articles/hair-gel-to-apply-or-not-to-apply.aspx The Beauty Brains. "Are Hand Sanitizers Bad For Nails?" Dec. 10, 2009 (Feb. 21, 2011) http://www.thebeautybrains.com/2009/12/10/are-hand-sanitizers-bad-for-nails/ Risher, Brittany. "The Best Foods for Healthy Hair." Men's Health. (Feb. 15, 2011) http://www.menshealth.com/spotlight/hair/best-food-for-healthy-hair.php
- Sustaita, Hilda. "A Close Look at the Properties of Hair and Scalp." (Feb. 17, 2011) http://www.texascollaborative.org/hildasustaita/module%20files/topic3 Sci-toys.com. "Ingredients -- Shampoo." (Feb. 17, 2011) http://www.sci-toys.com/ingredients/shampoo
- The Beauty Brains. "Are Hand Sanitizers Bad For Nails?" Dec. 10, 2009 (Feb. 21, 2011) http://www.thebeautybrains.com/2009/12/10/are-hand-sanitizers-bad-for-nails/
After a certain age, a lot of men start growing hair in places they don't want it — and stop growing it where they do. HOwStuffWorks looks at why.