- Don't hog the shower. Ten minutes should be the max, especially if there are limited showers available.
- Don't socialize while in the shower. It wastes time and may annoy others.
- Clean up what you mess up. Leave the shower and changing area as you found them.
- Never pee in the shower. It should go without saying, but some guys forget they're not at home.
- Dry off before returning to your locker. Don't stand and drip.
You also need to respect the privacy of others. Some guys are uncomfortable taking their clothes off in public or being around someone who's naked. Don't stare, whether in the shower or the locker room. Give others as much space as you can. Wrap a towel around your waist after you shower. Make it a rule not to be naked for longer than necessary.
- AskMen.com. "Locker Room Etiquette." (accessed March 3, 2011)http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_200/232_fitness_tip.html
- Brody, Jane. "Be Sure Exercise Is All You Get at the Gym." New York Times, August 2, 2010. (accessed March 3, 2011)http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/health/03brod.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print
- ConsumerReports.com. "What is athlete's foot?" January 19, 2011. (accessed March 3, 2011)http://www.consumerreports.org/health/conditions-and-treatments/athletes-foot/what-is-it.htm
- Dailey, Kate. "De-germ Your Gym." Men's Health, November 4, 2004. (accessed March 3, 2011)http://www.menshealth.com/health/de-germ-your-gym
- Dailey, Kate. "19 Temptations You Should Resist or Indulge." Men's Health. (accessed March 3, 2011)http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/choosing_life_s_temptations/Pee_in_the_Shower.php
- HealthFitnessZone.com. "Post Workout: To Shower Or Not To Shower." October 16, 2009. (accessed March 3, 2011)http://www.fitnesshealthzone.com/healthy-living/post-workout-to-shower-or-not-to-shower/
- McCarthy, Kevin. "Warning: Your fellow gym-goers could be spreading disease." (accessed March 3, 2011) ConsumerReports.org, August 5, 2010. (accessed March 3, 2011)http://blogs.consumerreports.org/health/2010/08/methicillin-resistant-staphylococcus-aureus-warning-your-fellow-gymgoers-could-be-spreading-disease.html
- McDougall, Christopher. "The Killer in the Locker Room." Men's Health, November 4, 2004. (accessed March 3, 2011)http://www.menshealth.com/health/killer-locker-room
- MyDr.com.au. "Warming up and cooling down for exercise." January 10, 2010. (accessed March 3, 2011)http://www.mydr.com.au/sports-fitness/warming-up-and-cooling-down-for-exercise
- Peterson, Josh. "Take a Cold Shower for Your Health," PlanetGreen.com, April 9, 2009. (accessed March 3, 2011)http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/cold-shower-health.html
- Piazza, Dean. "Hot or cold shower after exercise?" NineMSN, July 10, 2009. (accessed March 3, 2011)http://health.ninemsn.com.au/fitness/expertadvice/837008/hot-or-cold-shower-after-exercise
- StopMRSANow.org. "Your Locker Room or Gym." (accessed March 3, 2011)http://www.stopmrsanow.org/locker-room-or-gym.html
After a certain age, a lot of men start growing hair in places they don't want it — and stop growing it where they do. HOwStuffWorks looks at why.