Getting a close shave without a little skin irritation can be tricky. A fresh razor blade, thick shaving gel and soft, pliable hairs are key. For the best result, try wet shaving at the end of your shower. The steam from the shower and the warm water on your face help to soften facial hair, which will help you get a close shave while reducing your risk of skin irritation such as ingrown hairs, razor burn and nicks. Follow with a splash of cool water and a hydrating aftershave lotion to help lock in moisture.
- ABC News. Good Morning America. "The Best Face Cleansers for Your Skin Type." Aug. 24, 2010. (Feb. 20, 2011) http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/BeautySecrets/skin-care-face-cleansers-skin-type/story?id=11460538
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Small Changes in Skin Care Routine Can Significantly Improve Skin Affected by Acne and Rosacea." (Feb. 20, 2011) http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/small-changes-in-skin-care-routine-can-significantly-improve-skin-affected-by-acne-and-rosacea-115274019.html
- Aubrey, Allison. "When It Comes To Shampoo, Less Is More." NPR. March 19, 2009. (Feb. 20, 2011) http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102062969&ft=1&f=1007
- Crawford, Holly. "The Simple Secret to Great Hair." Good Housekeeping. (Feb. 20, 2011) http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/hair/secret-great-hair-oct04
- Draelos, Zoe D. "Essentials of hair care often neglected: Hair cleansing." International Journal of Trichology. July 29, 2010. (Feb. 20, 2011) http://www.ijtrichology.com/article.asp?issn=0974-7753;year=2010;volume=2;issue=1;spage=24;epage=29;aulast=Draelos;type=3
- Eucerin. "About the Skin." (Feb. 20, 2011) http://www2.eucerin.com/skin-expertise/about-the-skin/
- Geria, Navin M. "Exfoliants play key role in achieving healthy skin." Household & Personal Products Industry. February 2008. (Feb. 20, 2011) http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb3042/is_2_45/ai_n29412853/
- Global Industry Analysts. "Global Men's Grooming Products Market to Exceed $33.2 Billion by 2015, According to New Report by Global Industry Analysts, Inc." March 22, 2010. (Feb. 20, 2011) http://www.prweb.com/releases/grooming_products/toiletries_bath_shower/prweb3685224.htm
- Health.com. "Exfoliating 101: How to Let Fresh, Radiant Skin Shine Through." Feb. 22, 2008. (Feb. 20, 2011) http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20410841,00.html
- Hudson's. "All About Shaving." Hudson's FTM Resource Guide." (Feb. 20, 2011) http://www.ftmguide.org/shaving.html
- Lawrence, Star. "Getting a Close Shave." WebMD. June 1, 2007. (Feb. 20, 2011) http://men.webmd.com/guide/getting-close-shave
- Nemours. "Shaving." October 2010. (Feb. 20, 2011) http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_body/skin_stuff/shaving.html
- University of Iowa. Department of Dermatology. "Winter Dry Skin." Aug. 7, 2006. (Feb. 20, 2011) http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/skinhealth/winterskin.html
- U.S. Department of Energy. "Tips: Water Heating." Feb. 9, 2011. (Feb. 20, 2011) http://www.energysavers.gov/tips/water_heating.cfm
After a certain age, a lot of men start growing hair in places they don't want it — and stop growing it where they do. HOwStuffWorks looks at why.