When asked if they'd stay home from work because of cold or flu symptoms, many American workers said no. About 44 percent might go to work despite having a fever, and watch out for the 32 percent who plan on going to work no matter how sick they may be [source: Infection Control Today]. The best way to fight germs at work -- and elsewhere -- is to wash your hands.
Be sure to use proper hand-washing technique. A quick rinse under cold water isn't good enough. Use soap and warm water, and spend at least 15 to 20 seconds washing your hands -- and don't forget to pay close attention to under your nails and wash all the way up to your wrists. When you can't wash your hands, stash a container of hand sanitizer (one that contains at least 60 percent alcohol will get the job done) in your desk.
Read on for more personal hygiene tips.
- ABC News. "Myth: Toilet Seats Are the Dirtiest Thing in the Bathroom." Oct. 14, 2005. (March 21, 2011)http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/story?id=1213831&page=1
- American Dental Hygienists' Association. "Want Some Life Saving Advice? Ask Your Dental Hygienist About Understanding and Eliminating Bad Breath." July 16, 2010. (Feb. 14, 2011) http://www.adha.org/downloads/factsheets/bad_breath.pdf
- Baker, Donald J. and Warren R. Heymann. "Eccrine and Apocrine Glands." American Academy of Dermatology. 2010. (March 21, 2011)http://www.aad.org/education/students/glands.htm
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Stopping Germs at Home, Work and School." Feb. 1, 2004. (March 21, 2011)http://www.cdc.gov/germstopper/home_work_school.htm
- ConsumerSearch. "Hand Sanitizer: Myths and Facts." January 2011. (March 21, 2011)http://www.consumersearch.com/hand-sanitizers/hand-sanitizer-myths-and-facts
- Dakss, Brian. "Eating Lunch At Desk: Distateful." CBS News -- The Early Show. Jan. 18, 2006. (March 21, 2011)http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/18/earlyshow/main1217706.shtml
- Infection Control Today. "Most Americans Still Consider Showing Up to Work When Sick." Dec. 24, 2010. (March 21, 2011)http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/news/2010/12/most-americans-still-consider-showing-up-to-work-when-sick.aspx
- Larson, Elaine. "Hygiene of the Skin: When Is Clean Too Clean?" Emerging Infectious Diseases. March - April 2001. (Feb. 14, 2011) http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol7no2/larson.htm
- Maloof, Rich. "Kitchen Germs." MSN Health & Fitness. (March 21, 2011)http://health.msn.com/womens-health/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100123457
- Nemours. "Why Do I Need to Wash My Hands?" October 2010. (March 21, 2011)http://kidshealth.org/kid/talk/qa/wash_hands.html
- Snowdon, Graham. "How do you rank on personal hygiene?" The Guardian. Sept. 23, 2010. (March 21, 2011)http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog/2010/sep/23/personal-hygiene-bad-habits
- Weigel, Jen. "Is it OK to eat at your desk?" Chicago Tribune. Nov. 16, 2010. (March 21, 2011)http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-11-16/features/ct-tribu-weigel-lunch-at-desk-20101116_1_desk-eat-healthiest-choice
- Weissman, Michaele. "Desktop Dining." The Washington Post. Jan. 11, 2006. (March 21, 2011)http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/10/AR2006011000319.html
After a certain age, a lot of men start growing hair in places they don't want it — and stop growing it where they do. HOwStuffWorks looks at why.