Wash Your Hands
When asked if they'd stay home from work because of cold or flu symptoms, many American workers said no. About 44 percent might go to work despite having a fever, and watch out for the 32 percent who plan on going to work no matter how sick they may be [source: Infection Control Today]. The best way to fight germs at work -- and elsewhere -- is to wash your hands.
Be sure to use proper hand-washing technique. A quick rinse under cold water isn't good enough. Use soap and warm water, and spend at least 15 to 20 seconds washing your hands -- and don't forget to pay close attention to under your nails and wash all the way up to your wrists. When you can't wash your hands, stash a container of hand sanitizer (one that contains at least 60 percent alcohol will get the job done) in your desk.
Read on for more personal hygiene tips.
- ABC News. "Myth: Toilet Seats Are the Dirtiest Thing in the Bathroom." Oct. 14, 2005. (March 21, 2011)http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/story?id=1213831&page=1
- American Dental Hygienists' Association. "Want Some Life Saving Advice? Ask Your Dental Hygienist About Understanding and Eliminating Bad Breath." July 16, 2010. (Feb. 14, 2011) http://www.adha.org/downloads/factsheets/bad_breath.pdf
- Baker, Donald J. and Warren R. Heymann. "Eccrine and Apocrine Glands." American Academy of Dermatology. 2010. (March 21, 2011)http://www.aad.org/education/students/glands.htm
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Stopping Germs at Home, Work and School." Feb. 1, 2004. (March 21, 2011)http://www.cdc.gov/germstopper/home_work_school.htm
- ConsumerSearch. "Hand Sanitizer: Myths and Facts." January 2011. (March 21, 2011)http://www.consumersearch.com/hand-sanitizers/hand-sanitizer-myths-and-facts
- Dakss, Brian. "Eating Lunch At Desk: Distateful." CBS News -- The Early Show. Jan. 18, 2006. (March 21, 2011)http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/18/earlyshow/main1217706.shtml
- Infection Control Today. "Most Americans Still Consider Showing Up to Work When Sick." Dec. 24, 2010. (March 21, 2011)http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/news/2010/12/most-americans-still-consider-showing-up-to-work-when-sick.aspx
- Larson, Elaine. "Hygiene of the Skin: When Is Clean Too Clean?" Emerging Infectious Diseases. March - April 2001. (Feb. 14, 2011) http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol7no2/larson.htm
- Maloof, Rich. "Kitchen Germs." MSN Health & Fitness. (March 21, 2011)http://health.msn.com/womens-health/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100123457
- Nemours. "Why Do I Need to Wash My Hands?" October 2010. (March 21, 2011)http://kidshealth.org/kid/talk/qa/wash_hands.html
- Snowdon, Graham. "How do you rank on personal hygiene?" The Guardian. Sept. 23, 2010. (March 21, 2011)http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/blog/2010/sep/23/personal-hygiene-bad-habits
- Weigel, Jen. "Is it OK to eat at your desk?" Chicago Tribune. Nov. 16, 2010. (March 21, 2011)http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-11-16/features/ct-tribu-weigel-lunch-at-desk-20101116_1_desk-eat-healthiest-choice
- Weissman, Michaele. "Desktop Dining." The Washington Post. Jan. 11, 2006. (March 21, 2011)http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/10/AR2006011000319.html
After a certain age, a lot of men start growing hair in places they don't want it — and stop growing it where they do. HOwStuffWorks looks at why.