Homeopathy can stimulate the body to overpower the flu virus. The therapy uses highly diluted, nontoxic doses of a natural substance that would produce flu symptoms if given in full strength to a healthy person. The substances are taken from plant, mineral, or animal sources.
To find a remedy for the flu, a classical homeopath would scrutinize the extent and nature of the patient's symptoms and the course of the illness. The treatment is then tailored to the individual's symptoms. (Combination remedies, available over the counter, are formulated for the most common flu symptoms. Because of this lack of individualization, they are less effective.) Many details are studied to get a full picture of the patient's case. The following are some factors to consider:
- Did the flu begin after a change in temperature?
- Is there a fever? Is it burning? Alternating with chills?
- Is the sickness accompanied by exhaustion?
- Are there body pains? Where?
- Is it accompanied by thirst?
- Does it cause a change in temperament?
The following are some typical remedies for the flu:
- arsenicum album for the flu that causes restlessness, anxiety, thirst for small sips of warm liquids, a desire for company (even fear of being alone), burning pains, burning discharge from the nose, wheezing cough, remittent fever, chills, and symptoms that are worst between midnight and 3:00 a.m.
- gelsemium for the flu characterized by dull, dizzy, droopy, dopey feeling; aches all over; chills down the spine; no thirst; and heavy eyelids
- baptisia tinctoria for the flu that causes putrid breath; severe dizziness, aches, chills; and serious illness with great prostration
- bryonia alba for the flu that causes irritability, a desire to be alone in the quiet and dark, bursting headache, and a thirst for large amounts of cold water
- eupatorium perfoliatum for the flu characterized by deep bone pain, thirst, sore eyeballs, sore skin, and symptoms that are worst between 7:00 and 9:00 a.m.