How to Make Aromatherapy Dilutions
Most aromatherapy applications are a two-percent dilution. This means 2 drops of essential oil is added for every 100 drops of carrier oil -- a safe and effective dilution for most aromatherapy applications. A one-percent dilution is suggested for children, pregnant women, and those who are weak from chronic illness. In some cases, you will want to use even less.
Dilutions of three percent or more are used only for strong preparations such as liniments or for "spot" therapy, when you are only treating a tiny area instead of the entire body. Always remember that in aromatherapy, more is not necessarily better. In fact, too great a concentration may produce unwanted reactions. The following are standard dilutions:
- 1 percent dilution: 5-6 drops per ounce of carrier
- 2 percent dilution: 10-12 drops (about 1/8 teaspoon) per ounce of carrier
- 3 percent dilution: 15-18 drops (a little less than 1/4 teaspoon) per ounce of carrier
Oils made by macerating (soaking) herbs in vegetable oils are called infused oils. These can replace plain vegetable oils in aromatherapy preparations to make a more potent medicine. You can buy an infused oil or make your own.
Buying an herbal salve, lotion, or cream and stirring essential oils into it is a quick way to make an herb and essential oil combination. Try to find herbal products that contain little or no essential oil, because you don't want to end up with too much essential oil in the final product.
- Aromatherapy: Here you will learn about aromatherapy, how it works, what part essential oils play, and how to use aromatherapy.
- Essential Oils Profiles: We have collected profiles of dozens of plants that are used to produce essential oils. On these pages, you will learn the properties and preparations for the most popular essential oils.
- How to Treat Common Conditions With Aromatherapy: Aromatherapy can be used to treat a number of conditions, from asthma to depression to skin problems. Here you will learn how to treat some common medical problems with aromatherapy.
- Home Remedies: We have gathered over a hundred safe, time-tested home remedies for treating a wide variety of medical complaints yourself.
- Herbal Remedies: Herbal remedies and aromatherapy can be very similar, and they stem from similar historic roots. On this page, you will find all of our herb profiles and instructions for treating medical problems with herbal remedies.