Brush and floss regularly
The best thing you can do for your oral health is to brush and floss your teeth after every meal if possible, or at least twice a day. Not only does regular brushing and flossing reduce your risk of developing tooth decay and gum disease, the combination also helps to remove plaque before it can give your teeth a yellow hue.
Not much of a flosser? About half of American adults don't floss [source: Freeman]. Don't overlook flossing. Regular, proper flossing helps to remove stains from between teeth making your smile appear brighter.
And in addition to the toothy benefits, good oral hygiene habits may help lower your risk of other health problems, such as coronary heart disease and stroke.
More Great Links
- Academy of General Dentistry: What's alternative dentistry?
- Care2: Natural Remedies
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Oral Health Resources
- National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research: Oral Health
- National Institutes of Health: National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Dentists Kennewick. "10 Best Natural Teeth Whitening Tips." 2011. (Aug. 26, 2011) http://www.dentistskennewick.com/dentist-kennewick-10-best-natural-teeth-whitening-tips/
- Freeman, David. "Flossing Teeth for Dummies: No More Excuses!" WebMD. 2009. (Aug. 26, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/healthy-teeth-10/flossing-floss-sticks
- Freeman, David. "Foods and Habits That Stain Your Teeth." WebMD. 2009. (Aug. 26, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/foods-stain-teeth-feature
- Gabrick, Andrea. "Nutritional Benefits of the Strawberry." WebMD. 2008. (Aug. 26, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/nutritional-benefits-of-the-strawberry
- Jelich, Alexander. "7 Tips for Natural Tooth Whitening."The American Chronicle. 2008. (Aug. 26, 2011) http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/48092
- Johnston, Lori. "Can Teeth Whitening Become an Addiction?" WebMD. 2008. (Aug. 26, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/can-teeth-whitening-become-an-addiction
- Mapes, Diane. "Blindlingly white: Teeth bleaching gone too far." MSNBC.com. 2007. (Aug. 26, 2011) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15309784/ns/health-oral_health/t/blindingly-white-teeth-bleaching-gone-too-far/
- McGowan, Kathleen. "The Biology of ...Saliva." Discover Magazine. 2005. (Aug. 26, 2011) http://discovermagazine.com/2005/oct/the-biology-of-saliva
- MedicineNet.com. "Teeth Whitening." 2005. (Aug. 26, 2011) http://www.medicinenet.com/teeth_whitening/article.htm
- Reynolds, Eric C. "Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate and the Remineralization of Enamel." U.S. Dentistry. Pages 51 - 54. 2006. (Aug. 26, 2011) http://www.touchbriefings.com/pdf/2262/reynolds.pdf
- Shocker, Laura. "7 Natural Tips for Whiter Teeth." The Huffington Post. 2011. (Aug. 26, 2011) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/20/natural-tooth-whiteners_n_864546.html#s281049&title=Try_it_Cheese
- Sparks, Lisa Vernon. "A history of tooth-whitening." Seattle Times. 2010. (Aug 26, 2011) http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2013419604_teeth16.html
- The Daily Mail Online. "Can strawberries really whiten teeth?!" (Aug. 26, 2011) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-198103/Can-strawberries-really-whiten-teeth.html
- The Dr. Oz Show. "Natural Teeth Whitening Solutions" 2010. (Aug. 26, 2011) http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/natural-teeth-whitening-solutions
- Yarnell, Amanda. "Teeth Whiteners." Chemical and Engineering News. Vol. 81 no. 6. Page 29. 2003. (Aug. 26, 2011) http://pubs.acs.org/cen/whatstuff/stuff/8106whiteteeth.html
A new way to brush your teeth? HowStuffWorks looks at toothpaste tablets.