At-Home Teeth Whitening Tricks and Tips
Does the idea of getting whiter teeth by putting chemicals called carbamide peroxide, sodium hexametaphosphate or blue covarine into your mouth make you turn white with fear? Don't worry; there are other more natural methods you can try to get your whites more pearly.
As you no doubt noticed several years ago, toothpastes started incorporating baking soda into their formulas. That's because it actually can help make your teeth whiter. It works in much the same way as hydrogen peroxide does -- it bombards your teeth with free radicals that penetrate the enamel and basically turn dark stain molecules clear to whiten the teeth. To use it, just dampen your toothbrush and dip it into a small dash of the baking soda then brush for two minutes.
To make the baking soda trick work even better, grind up some strawberries and toss them into the mix. Strawberries contain malic acid that can lighten stains from soda, coffee and wine through its astringency. To put strawberry's whitening power to work for you, crush one ripe berry and mix it with a half teaspoon of baking soda then spread on teeth and leave for five minutes. Then brush it off and get ready to gleam (at least a little more than when you started).
Other food-based solutions include apples, fresh green beans, celery, jicama, carrots, raw cauliflower, broccoli and pretty much any hard vegetable or fruit because their texture can help scrub the teeth and also give the gums a gentle massage.
Finally, it makes sense to keep a glass of water close by at every meal. When you are finished eating, swish a bit around and spit -- just like if you were at the dentist's office. This is an especially good idea if you eat or drink a staining substance like tea or coffee.
- ADA Council on Scientific Affairs. "Tooth Whitening/Bleaching: Treatment Considerations for Dentists and Their Patients." Sept. 2009. http://www.ada.org/sections/about/pdfs/HOD_whitening_rpt.pdf
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. "Teeth Whitening." (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.aacd.com/index.php?module=cms&page=568
- American Dental Association. "Statement on the Safety and Effectiveness of Tooth Whitening Products." Feb. 2008. (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.ada.org/1902.aspx
- American Dental Association. "Tooth Whitening." (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.ada.org/2993.aspx?currentTab=1
- American Dental Hygienists' Association. "Tooth Whitening Systems." (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.adha.org/oralhealth/whitening.htm
- Carr, Alan. "Whitening toothpaste: Does it whiten teeth?" Mayo Clinic. Apr. 30, 2010. (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/whitening-toothpaste/AN01818
- Cruzan Morton, Carol. "Teeth Whitening: What Works, What Doesn't." The Boston Globe. Feb. 4, 2003. (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-7768857.html
- Dyett, Linda. "Teeth Whitening: How it Works and What it Costs." Consumer Guide to Dentistry. Sept. 12, 2011. (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.yourdentistryguide.com/teeth-whitening/
- Good Housekeeping. "Whiten Your Teeth at Home." (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/product-reviews/beauty-products/teeth-whitening-product-reviews/whiten-your-teeth
- Jourdan, Thea. "Teeth so bright, they dazzle." The Telegraph. Dec. 19, 2003. (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/3303978/Teeth-so-bright-they-dazzle.html
- Mapes, Diane. "Blindingly white: Teeth bleaching done too far." msnbc.com. Jan. 17, 2007. (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15309784/#.TrP3E1ZSlEY
- Mercola, Dr. "Whiten Your Teeth With Strawberries." Mercola.com. Sept. 27, 2007. (Nov. 4, 2011) http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/09/27/whiten-your-teeth-with-strawberries.aspx
- Noonan, Peggy J. "Naturally whiten your teeth with the right diet." USA Today. Sept. 19, 2011. (Nov. 4, 2011) http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/story/2011-09-18/Naturally-whiten-your-teeth-with-the-right-diet/50458932/1
- Ohio State University. "Home tooth bleaching slightly reduces enamel strength." Apr. 14, 2009. (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.physorg.com/news158928022.html
- Porciani P.F., Grandini S., Perra C., and Grandini R. "Whitening effect by stain inhibition from a chewing gum with sodium hexametaphosphate in a controlled twelve-week single-blind trial." Journal of Clinical Dentistry. 2006. (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16838876
- Smellie, Alice. "Can 'whitening' toothpaste rid me of my coffee stained smile?" Daily Mail. Oct 12, 2010. (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-242711608.html
- Stelfox, Hilarie. "Tooth Whitening." Huddersfield Daily Examiner. Oct. 12, 2006. (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-152701187.html
- Stemmer, Philip. "The best way to get teeth whiter than white." Mail Online. Nov. 2006. (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-419134/The-best-way-teeth-whiter-white.html
- Swain, Liz. "Teeth Whitening." Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine, 3rd ed. Jan. 1, 2006. (Oct. 21, 2011) http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G2-3451601581.html
- Teethwhitening.com. "Paint On Teeth Whitening Effectiveness." (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.teethwhitening.com/paint-teeth-whitening/teeth-whitening-costs-effectiveness.html
- TeethWhiteningReviews.com. "Teeth Whitening Costs - The Full Breakdown." Dec. 9, 2010. (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.teethwhiteningreviews.com/artman/publish/teeth-whitening-costs.php
- Timmel, Karina. "How to Whiten Your Teeth Naturally." Health.com. Feb. 21, 2008. (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20410846,00.html
- Walters, P.A., Biesbrock, A.R., and Bartizek, R.D. "Benefits of sodium hexametaphosphate-containing chewing gum for extrinsic stain inhibition." Journal of Dental Hygiene. 2004. (Nov. 4, 2011) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16197748