Manual lymphatic drainage is a type of massage specifically developed to improve circulation. Drs. Emil and Estrid Vodder discovered this type of massage in the 1930s while they were treating patients with immune disorders. They noticed that many patients with chronic colds had swollen lymph nodes, and they decided to study the lymph system, a part of the body which the medical field knew little about, in more depth. The Vodders' efforts made them pioneers in the medical field.
This soothing, gentle and rhythmic massage accelerates lymphatic fluid. When you receive this massage, the masseuse will gently stretch your skin the direction of lymph flow to improve circulation. Manual lymphatic drainage is an important tool in the treatment of lymphedema and other lymphatic and circulatory disorders.
- Dr. Vodder School International. "Manual Lymph Drainage." (July 10, 2102). http://www.vodderschool.com/manual_lymph_drainage_overview
- Pfrimmer Massage. "Foundations of Pfrimmer Deep Muscle Therapy. (July 24, 2012.) http://www.pfrimmer.org/
- MLD. "What is MLD?" (July 10, 2012). http://www.mlduk.org.uk/therapy/
- NCBI. "Massage Therapies." (July 10, 2012). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1071543/
- Petersen, Andrea. "Don't call it pampering: Massage wants to be medicine."WSJ. 13 March 2012. (July 24, 2012). http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304537904577277303049173934.html
- Pfrimmer. "How does Pfrimmer work?" (July 10, 2012). http://www.pfrimmer.org/about/how.html
- United Massage Therapists. "Considering What Type Of Massage To Receive? 17 Different Modalities To Ponder." (July 10, 2012). http://www.unitedmassagetherapists.com/orange-county-massage-types.html
Are you wondering how to get rid of razor bumps in bikini area? Learn how to get rid of razor bumps in bikini area in this article.