Questions to Ask a Doctor
In the process of selecting a family physician, you should draw up a list of basic questions to ask the doctor and consider the following:
- Will the doctor treat all family members?
- Is the doctor covered by your insurance plan?
- Does the doctor provide care during pregnancy and perform deliveries?
- Does the doctor have staff privileges at a nearby accredited hospital?
- Does the doctor perform surgery? If so, what kind?
- Does the doctor encourage preventive medicine, such as routine checkups, immunizations, and follow-up tests?
- Does the doctor make emergency house calls for bedridden family members?
- Does the doctor have office hours that are convenient for your family, especially for those who work or attend school?
- What arrangement does the doctor have for a substitute when he or she is unavailable?
- What are the fees for the various services?
- Is the doctor certified by the American Board of Family Practice (or a specialty board of another area)?
The answers to these questions, along with the recommendations of friends and neighbors, will help you select the right doctor for you and your family.