Everyone should keep a thermometer on hand to check for fevers. What you may not know is what kind of thermometer to have.
Poison control centers around the country receive 15,000 phone calls each year due to broken glass mercury thermometers [source: Health Care Without Harm]. Mercury is a neurotoxin that poisons our nervous systems, damaging the brain, spinal cord, kidneys and liver. It also affects our hearing, speech and sight, as well as how we think and feel. Human health isn't the only concern about mercury: It's also bad for the health of our environment.
If you still have one, it's time to switch. Many states offer mercury thermometer exchange programs. Get yourself a safer alternative such as a digital electronic thermometer, a glass alcohol thermometer, a glass gallium-indium-tin (galinstan) thermometer, an ear canal thermometer, or a flexible forehead thermometer.
More Great Links
- "Athlete's Foot -- Home Treatment." WebMD. 2006. http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/athletes-foot-home-treatment
- "Flossing." Family Gentle Dental Care. http://www.dentalgentlecare.com/flossing.htm
- "Fungal Infections: Introduction." The Merck Manual Home Edition. Merck & Co., Inc. 2003. http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec17/ch197/ch197a.html
- "Girl Dies After Using Excess of Muscle Cream." ABC News. 2007. http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3263343
- Lewis, Carol. "Fighting Gum Disease: How to Keep Your Teeth." FDA Consumer magazine. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. 2002. http://www.fda.gov/Fdac/features/2002/302_gums.html
- Lewis, Carol. "Your Medicine Cabinet Needs an Annual Checkup, Too." FDA Consumer magazine. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. 2000. http://www.fda.gov/FDAC/features/2000/200_med.html
- "Managing Your Medicine Cabinet." Revolution Health. 2006. http://www.revolutionhealth.com/conditions/first-aid-safety/first-aid-kit/supplies/medicine-cabinet
- Marshall, Mallika. "Medicine Cabinet Must-Haves." The Early Show. CBS News. 2008. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/05/earlyshow/health/main4421225.shtml
- "Mercury - The Issue." Health Care Without Harm. http://www.noharm.org/us/mercury/issue
- "Morning Workout Drinks, Muscle-Cream Danger and More." Health. 2008. http://living.health.com/2008/04/09/morning-workout-drinks-muscle-cream/
- "Nails: How to keep your fingernails healthy and strong." Mayo Clinic. 2007. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nails/WO00020
- "Nail Fungus & Nail Health." American Academy of Dermatology. 2008. http://www.aad.org/public/publications/pamphlets/common_nail.html
- Oz, Mehmet. "Dr. Oz's Medicine Chest." Esquire. 2008. http://www.esquire.com/features/ask-dr-oz/medicine-cabinet-0608
- Rauh, Sherry. "Healthy Fingernails: Clues About Your Health." WebMD. 2008.http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/healthy-fingernails-clues-about-health
- "Rubbing Alcohol." Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things. Reader's Digest. http://www.rd.com/advice-and-know-how/extraordinary-uses-for-rubbing-alcohol/article24001.html
- "Skin Cream Soothes Sore Muscles." WebMD. 2003. http://arthritis.webmd.com/news/20030715/skin-cream-soothes-sore-muscles
- "Splinters Treatment." WebMD. 2006. http://firstaid.webmd.com/splinters_treatment_firstaid.htm
- "Thermometer Fact Sheet." Health Care Without Harm. http://www.noharm.org/library/docs/Going_Green_Thermometer_Fact_Sheet.pdf
- "Thermometers: Taking your child's temperature." CNN. 2006. http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/HQ/01481.html
- "Tick Removal." Division of Vector-Borne Infectious Diseases. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2007. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/Lyme/ld_tickremoval.htm
- Udesky, Laurie. "Storing Your Medicine." CVS Health Resources. CVS Pharmacy. 2008. http://www.cvshealthresources.com/topic/medstorage
- "What should I keep in my medicine cabinet?" NHS 24. 2008. http://www.nhs24.com/content/default.asp?page=s3_4_4
- "What to keep in your medicine chest when you've got a toddler in the house." BabyCenter. http://www.babycenter.com/0_what-to-keep-in-your-medicine-chest-when-youve-got-a-toddler_11778.bc
- "Your Dog's Medicine Cabinet." Pet Place. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/your-dog-s-medicine-cabinet/page1.aspx
Gender can affect whether a bystander performs CPR on the person in need. Learn more at HowStuffWorks.