11 Home Remedies for Oily Hair
You wash and style your hair every morning, but within a few short hours, it looks stringy and dirty. You, like millions of others, have oily hair.
But don't get mad at those glands for doing their job. Oil protects your hair shafts from breaking, keeps your scalp in good condition, and gives your hair that nice, healthy-looking sheen. Unfortunately, sometimes it's overzealous.
So why does the dipstick measure too much oil? Several factors can be responsible, including:
- Heredity: If your dad had oily hair, chances are you will, too.
- Hormonal fluctuations: In adult women, it may come with the menstrual cycle or using birth control pills. In teens, it's just part of the ever-embarrassing teenaged experience -- oily hair, zits, the works. When the hormones simmer down, the problem usually evens out.
- Bulking up: Excessive oil is a side effect of using androgenic hormones to increase body mass.
- Hair texture: Fine hair is often oilier than coarse hair because it takes up less room on the scalp. This means people with fine hair are usually crowned with lots more of it than people with coarse hair. And the more hair there is, the more oil because each follicle is supplied with two to three oil glands.
Diet's Not to BlameTake notice that diet is not one of the oil-producing culprits listed. That's because diet doesn't play much of a role in the development of oily hair, contrary to what many people believe. Eating French fries won't send the grease directly to your scalp unless you rub your French fries through your hair.
The good news is that oily hair can be managed successfully with home remedies, including things you'll find in your very own kitchen. Go to the next page to read about home remedies for oily hair.
For more information about oily hair and how to prevent it, try the following links:
- To read about all of our home remedies and the conditions that they treat, go to our main Home Remedies page.
- If your oily hair is accompanied by oily skin, you can calm it with Home Remedies for Oily Skin.
- For information on how to condition dry hair, visit our Home Remedies for Dry Hair page.
- If your skin lack moisture, read our Home Remedies for Dry Skin page.
This information is solely for informational purposes. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. Neither the Editors of Consumer Guide (R), Publications International, Ltd., the author nor publisher take responsibility for any possible consequences from any treatment, procedure, exercise, dietary modification, action or application of medication which results from reading or following the information contained in this information. The publication of this information does not constitute the practice of medicine, and this information does not replace the advice of your physician or other health care provider. Before undertaking any course of treatment, the reader must seek the advice of their physician or other health care provider.
Learn more about what ails you. Here are some common symptoms.See all »