We've talked about how the zinc we get from natural foods helps our immunity, but did you know that it also helps with cell growth? Zinc even helps our body heal, which is welcomed assistance when it comes to cuts and wounds [source: KidsHealth].
Certainly cuts and wounds aren't a symptom of the common cold -- unless your illness makes you woozy and you slip with a knife while preparing your chicken noodle soup -- but keeping everything else about your health in tip-top shape does seem like a good move when dealing with a cold. After all, even minor things, like a scrape on the finger can send you over the edge when all you want to do is curl up on the couch and ring a bell for assistance.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Benkoff, Amanda. "Zinc Cold Remedies: Are They Safe and Effective -- Who Nose?" Clinical Correlations. Feb. 11, 2010. (Nov. 2, 2010)http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=2321
- "Cold and Flu: Can CAM Help?" National Institutes of Health. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. February 2010. (Nov. 2, 2010)
- "Common Cold and Runny Nose." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sept. 1, 2010. (Nov. 2, 2010)http://www.cdc.gov/getsmart/antibiotic-use/URI/colds.html
- "Do 'Natural' Cold Remedies Work?" CBSNews.com. Oct. 9, 2008. (Nov. 2, 2010)http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/08/health/webmd/main4509439.shtml
- Gazzaniga, Marin. "Cold Hard Facts." MSN. (Nov. 2, 2010)http://health.msn.com/health-topics/cold-and-flu/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100110960&page=1
- "Get Smart: Know When Antibiotics Work." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sept. 1, 2010. (Nov. 5, 2010)http://www.cdc.gov/getsmart/antibiotic-use/symptom-relief.html
- Kim, Kyung-Jin. "Zinc: Combats the Common Cold?" Consumer Health Information Corporation. 2006 (Nov. 1, 2010)http://www.consumer-health.com/services/cons_take48.php
- "Minerals." KidsHealth. April 2009. (Nov. 2, 2010)http://kidshealth.org/kid/stay_healthy/food/minerals.html#
- "Zinc." Office of Dietary Supplements. National Institutes of Health. (Nov. 1, 2010)http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Zinc-HealthProfessional/
- "Zinc for Colds: Lozenges & Nasal Sprays." WebMD. March 28, 2009. (Nov. 1, 2010)http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/zinc-lozenges-cold-remedy
- "Zinc lozenges an ineffective treatment for colds." Physorg.com. Aug. 2, 2007. (Nov. 2, 2010)http://www.physorg.com/news105279213.html
- "Zinc reduces common cold symptoms." Reuters. April 17, 2008. (Nov. 2, 2010)http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTON77737720080417
Can the flu virus jump from species to species? HowStuffWorks looks at the science of canine flu.