Here are some questions to ask your doctor to ensure that you're getting the most from your medications:
- What's the generic and brand name of the medicine?
- How does it work?
- How soon should I expect results?
- How and when should I take the medicine? How much should I take and for how long?
- How long do I need to keep taking the medication after I start feeling better?
- Are there any foods, drinks, or activities that I should avoid while taking the medication?
- What should I do if I miss a dose?
- What side effects can I expect and how long will they last? What should I do if I experience these side effects?
Medication is one of the most effective ways to keep GERD under control. There are several options, including over-the-counter drugs, from which your doctor may choose, based on your symptoms. Don't try to treat yourself. It's important that you see your doctor to confirm a GERD diagnosis, as several other conditions may mimic GERD symptoms.
If you and your doctor decide that you should take medication, find out what you need to know about GERD medications.