When a Michigan woman was rushed to the ER with a perforated appendix on the morning of her wedding, she and her fiancé worried their special day would be ruined. But not if the hospital staff had anything to do with it [source: Isom].
When the ER workers learned that their patient was missing out on exchanging vows with her intended, they set out to make sure the ceremony happened anyway -- although probably in a much different way than the bride's wedding planner had originally laid out. The staff decorated the bride's ER recovery room, bought her flowers from the hospital gift shop, made her a gauze veil, brought in a hospital chaplain and played the wedding march from an MP3 downloaded on a cell phone.
While many unusual ER visits involve horrific events, this is one that had a storybook ending.
- CareerBuilder. "Employers Share List of Most Unusual Excuses for Calling in Sick, According to CareerBuilder's Annual Survey." Oct. 20, 2011. (Feb. 13, 2012) http://www.careerbuilder.com/share/aboutus/pressreleasesdetail.aspx?id=pr663&sd=10/20/2011&ed=10/20/2011
- Cosmopolitan. "Sex Snafus That Ended Up in the ER." (Feb. 13, 2012) http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/tips-moves/Sex-Snafus-That-Ended-Up-in-the-ER
- Heavey, Jenene. "Unknown pregnancies, surprise births are possible."Kansas State Collegian.April 22, 2009. (Feb. 13, 2012) http://www.kstatecollegian.com/unknown-pregnancies-surprise-births-are-possible-1.1727324#.TznT6phZ3FE
- Isom, Andrea. "Bride Gets Married in Ann Arbor Emergency Room." MyFoxDetroit. June 21, 2011. (Feb. 13, 2012) http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/bride-gets-married-in-ann-arbor-emergency-room-20110621-wpms
- Lang, Rocky and Montero, Erick. "Confessions of Emergency Room Doctors." Harbor Lights Productions, Inc. 2007. (Feb. 13, 2012) http://books.google.com/books?id=m9w9V6Y6W_EC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Pangallo, Mark. "Eel removed from man's bladder after entering penis during beauty spa." Metro UK. Sept. 13, 2011. (Feb. 13, 2012) http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/875317-eel-removed-from-mans-bladder-after-entering-penis-during-beauty-spa#ixzz1l0hN0LcB
- Pfeiffer, Eric. "Flying squirrels invade hospital emergency room for second time in two weeks." Yahoo News. Dec. 1, 2011. (Feb. 13, 2012) http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/flying-squirrels-invade-hospital-emergency-room-second-time-210354055.html
- Sher, Lauren and Jackie Jaeger. "Medical Mystery Behind Mom's Surprise Birth." ABC 20/20. April 9, 2010. (Feb. 13, 2012) http://abcnews.go.com/2020/vasectomy-complications-womans-surprise-pregnancy/story?id=9561100#.TznGoJhZ3FE
HowStuffWorks looks at the evolution of ambulance services and why the idea that they don't pick up people in some neighborhoods is incorrect.