Ovulation is not just the process by which an ovary releases an egg; it's marked by the release of a mature egg. An immature ovum causes a cycle that is anovulatory [source: Hernandez-Rey]. Anovulatory cycles or anovulation ensure infertility.
The causes of anovulation can range anywhere from problem with the hypothalamus to the early onset of menopause [source: Stanford]. Polycystic ovarian syndrome is one potential cause [source: Sherbahn]. A woman diagnosed with PCOS can be given various instructions and/or medications by her doctor. Metformin is one such medication. Clomid may be prescribed in conjunction with Metformin to treat PCOS. Once normal insulin levels are seen and menstruation occurs at regular intervals, anovulation may be alleviated [source: Labor of Love]. Those factors increase the chances of a woman becoming pregnant.
Fertility drugs, such as those that hyperstimulate the ovaries, have led to an increase in multiple births [source: Science Daily]. Metformin, however, does not fall into the category of COH (controlled ovarian stimulation) drugs. Since its purpose is to restore insulin production to normal levels and treat PCOS, it has not been linked to an increase in pregnancies involving twins, triplets and other births of more than one child. This fact makes Metformin different than most fertility medications [source: Labor of Love].
Metformin is not an across-the-board treatment for infertility. It has been proven effective in specific cases involving medical issues related to high blood sugar, insulin resistance and polycystic ovarian syndrome. A qualified physician can determine its appropriateness and whether it should be used alone or in combination with other treatments.
- American Diabetes Association. "Type 2." (May 30, 2012) http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/type-2/
- American Pregnancy Association. "Understanding Ovulation." (June 2, 2012) http://www.americanpregnancy.org/gettingpregnant/understandingovulation.html
- Baby Med. "Seven Easy Steps to Improve Your Fertility and Get Pregnant." (May 30, 2012) http://www.babymed.com/getting-pregnant/seven-easy-steps-improve-your-fertility-and-get-pregnant
- Brown, David. "Collaboration Seeks to Find News Uses for Failed Drugs." May 3, 2012. (May 31, 2012) http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/collaboration-seeks-to-find-new-uses-for-failed-drugs/2012/05/03/gIQAA81D0T_story.html
- Diabetes Forecast. "The Origins of Metformin." December 2010. (May 30, 2012) http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/origins-metformin
- Elsner, Carline W. MD. "Fertile Thoughts: Metformin and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome." (May 30, 2012) http://www.divinecaroline.com/22094/27877-fertile-thoughts-metformin-polycystic-ovarian
- Fertility Authority. "PCOS: Diagnosis and Treatment." (May 30, 2012) http://www.fertilityauthority.com/fertility-issues/what-causes-polycystic-ovarian-syndrome-pcos/pcos-diagnosis-treatment
- Hernandez-Ray, Armando E. MD. "Anovulation." Oct. 25, 2011 (May 30, 2012) http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/253190-overview
- Life Tips. "What does insulin do?" May 30, 2012 http://diabetes.lifetips.com/faq/112911/0/what-does-insulin-do/index.html
- National Collaborating Centre for Women's and Children's Health. "Fertility." February 2004 (May 30, 2012) http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/cg011fullguideline.pdf
- Obesity in America. "Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes." (June 2, 2012) http://www.obesityinamerica.org/understandingObesity/diseases.cfm
- Science Daily. "Fertility Drugs Contribute Heavily to Multiple Births." (June 2, 2012) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100120104002.htm
- Science Daily. "Metformin May Lower Risk for Oral Cancer Development." March 12, 2012. (May 31, 2012) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120331151138.htm
- Sherbahn, Richard. MD. "Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Fertility with Metformin (Glucophage.)" Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago. (May 31, 2012) http://www.advancedfertility.com/metformin-pcos-pregnancy.htm
- Stanford. "What Causes Female Infertility?" (June 2, 2012) http://www.stanford.edu/class/siw198q/websites/reprotech/New%20Ways%20of%20Making%20Babies/Causefem.htm
- The Labor of Love. "How Long Does it Take for Metformin to Work?" (May 30, 2012) http://www.thelaboroflove.com/articles/how-long-does-it-take-for-metformin-to-work
- WebMD. "Metformin Oral." (May 30, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-7061-METFORMIN+-+ORAL.aspx?drugid=11285&drugname=metformin+oral