Many natural products in your home can do wonders for your skin. Check out these homemade skin-care ideas:
- For an easy weekly facial sauna that unclogs pores, add a few tablespoons of your favorite herbs to water and boil for several minutes. Remove the pot from the heat, and use a bath towel as a tent while you let the steam rise to your face for 3 to 5 minutes. Then rinse your face with very cold water to close the pores.
- This treatment works well for normal to dry skin: Mash 1/2 of a banana in a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon honey and 2 tablespoons sour cream; mix well. Apply to your face, leave on for 10 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- For a toning and cleansing mask for normal to oily skin, add 3 tablespoons finely ground oatmeal to 3 tablespoons witch hazel to form a paste. Apply to your face and allow to dry for 20 to 30 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- To make a toning mask, combine half of a small papaya, 1 egg white, and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice and mix in the blender until creamy. Leave the mask on your face for 20 minutes and then rinse with cold water.
- For a cleansing mask for dry skin, mix the yolk of an egg with 2 teaspoons mayonnaise and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice. Apply to your face and allow to dry for 20 minutes. Wash off with warm water.
- For a skin-tightening mask for normal and oily skin, whip an egg white, apply to the face, and allow to dry. Rinse off after 20 minutes. Avoid this treatment on dry skin, where it may be too harsh.
- Remove flaky skin by dipping a cotton ball or pad in milk and applying it to the flaky patch. Rinse with cool water.
- For a softener for rough areas, such as your feet, knees, and elbows, mix a paste of 1 tablespoon finely ground oatmeal and cold cream. Apply it several times a week, and rub gently as you wash off the paste with warm water.
- For another softener for rough areas, mix 1/4 cup table salt, 1/4 cup Epsom salts, and 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Stir constantly as you mix the ingredients. Massage the paste into rough skin for several minutes. Remove by bathing or showering.
- Repair cracked and chapped feet or hands by covering them with a thin layer of petroleum jelly, then wearing cotton socks or gloves while you sleep.
You can see that skin-care is a detailed matter, but we've shown you that there are many clever ways of keeping your skin healthy and looking great.