Laser Treatments for Lip Lines
Laser resurfacing treatments to smooth vertical lip lines are also available. These resurfacing treatments can be used either alone or in combination with injectable lip fillers.
All lasers used for skin resurfacing and rejuvenation use beams of high energy to tighten and repair skin. Although there have been several types of lasers in use over the years, fractional lasers are one of the most popular, gentle and effective.
A fractional laser causes skin to replace damaged and wrinkled skin with new skin. It also encourages the body to produce collagen. You'll probably need three to five treatments, over several months, to get the desired results - which might take a little longer to notice than with injectable fillers (about a week). However, once the initial series is complete, the results can last for a year before another treatment is needed.
There is some discomfort associated with laser treatments, even though a numbing gel is used to minimize any uncomfortable sensations. Redness, swelling and some blistering can occur as well. In addition, there will be some discomfort for a few days following each treatment, and redness that can last a week or more.
For more information about reducing lip lines, visit the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, PA. "Injectable Fillers." (Accessed 9/17/2009) http://www.lookasbeautiful.com/botox_injectable_fillers.asp
- AgingSkinNet. "Causes of Aging Skin." (Accessed 9/17/2009) http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/basicfacts.html
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. "Lip Augmentation." (Accessed 9/17/2009) http://www.surgery.org/consumers/procedures/head/lip-augmentation
- Anderson, Stephen, MD. "Thermage in Bellevue and Seattle, WA." (Accessed 9/17/2009) http://www.800theface.com/thermage.asp?picSection=thermage
- Epilution. "Smokers Lines." (Accessed 9/28/09). http://www.epilution.com/glossary/smokers-lines.html
- Gibson, Lawrence, MD. "Think Skin: What Causes It?" Mayo Clinic. (Accessed 9/29/2009) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thin-skin/AN01688
- Irwin, Brandith, MD. "Guide to Fractional Lasers." Skin Tour. (Accessed 9/17/2009) http://www.skintour.com/guide-to-cosmetic-treatments/guide-to-fractional-lasers
- Johnson, Anna. "A Wrinkle in Time." MSN Lifestyle. (Accessed 9/29/2009) http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-look/everyday-style/article.aspx?cp-documentid=8299019
- Mayo Clinic. "Slide show: Sun damage." (Accessed 9/17/2009) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sun-damage/SN00021
- Rodriguez, Ricardo, MD. "Fat Injections." Cosmeticsurg. (Accessed 9/29/2009) http://www.cosmeticsurg.net/procedures/Fat-Injections.php