Take a look in your bathroom cabinets. What do you see? Hair spray, mousse, gel or wax? A spray to straighten your hair or a cream to help curl it? Mists to detangle and reduce frizz? If you're like many women (and quite a few men) you have no shortage of hair styling and care products. And while all of those specialty sprays, lotions, creams and gels may improve your look, they may also create an unwelcome and unattractive side effect: dandruff. These products can build up on your scalp and flake off, and they can also lead to oiliness or sensitivity in your scalp, which can lead to the itching and flaking of dandruff.
If your hairstyle can handle it, try to eliminate hair styling products from your beauty routine. Or, at the very least, cut back on them. If you do continue using them, thoroughly wash your hair at the end of the day. In fact, frequent shampooing, in general, is another easy way to keep dandruff away. Regular shampooing may help keep dandruff-causing oils and skin cells from building up on your scalp [source: Mayo Clinic]. If you're prone to dandruff, try washing your hair daily for prevention.
If you'd like to learn more about dandruff's causes and treatments, keep reading for lots more information.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. "Dandruff." (April 22, 2010.)http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/dandruff.html
- Bouchez, Colette. "Good Fat, Bad Fat: The Facts about Omega-3." WebMD. December 12, 2008. (April 22, 2010.)http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/good-fat-bad-fat-facts-about-omega-3
- Brody, Jane. "Personal Health; Cold weather means blizzards of dandruff." New York Times. October 6, 1993. (April 22, 2010.)http://www.nytimes.com/1993/10/06/health/personal-health-cold-weather-means-blizzards-of-dandruff.html?pagewanted=all
- Casey, John. "Beat the Itch of Winter Skin." WebMD. March 6, 2009. (April 22, 2010.)http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/beat-itch-winter-skin
- Danoff, Rob. "Dry Skin: Stop Scratching This Winter." Discovery-Health. 2009. (April 22, 2010.) http://health.discovery.com/centers/healthbeauty/conditions/dryskin.html
- HealthFinder.gov "Manage Stress." December 23, 2009. (April 22, 2010)http://www.healthfinder.gov/prevention/printtopic.aspx?topicid=45
- Mayo Clinic. "Dandruff: Causes." November 22, 2008. (April 22, 2010)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dandruff/DS00456/DSECTION=causes
- Mayo Clinic. "Dandruff: Lifestyle and Home Remedies." November 22, 2008. (April 22, 2010)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dandruff/DS00456/DSECTION=lifestyle%2Dand%2Dhome%2Dremedies
- MedlinePlus. "Pantothenic and Biotin." March 7, 2009. (April 22, 2010.)http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002410.htm
- MedlinePlus. "Seborrheic Dermatitis." July 18, 2007. (April 22, 2010)http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000963.htm
- National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements. "Selenium." (April 22, 2010.)http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/selenium.asp
- National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements. "Zinc." (April 22, 2010.)http://ods.od.nih.gov/FactSheets/Zinc.asp
- PennState Milton S. Hershey Medical Center College of Medicine. "Dandruff." October 31, 2006. (April 22, 2010.)http://www.hmc.psu.edu/healthinfo/d/dandruff.htm
- Procter and Gamble. "Dandruff Mysteries Revealed with Genome Sequencing." (April 22, 2010)http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/dandruff-mysteries-revealed1.html
- Skin Cancer Foundation. "Position Statement: Vitamin D." (April 24, 2010)http://www.skincancer.org/images/stories/press-releases/scf_vitamindpositionstatement.pdf
- WebMD. "Coal Tar Shampoo-Topical: Precautions." (April 22, 2010)http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-151769-Anti-Dandruff+Coal+Tar+Top.aspx?drugid=151769&drugname=Anti-Dandruff+(Coal+Tar)+Top&source=3
- WebMD. "Dry Skin: Lifestyle and Home Remedies." November 26, 2008. (April 22, 2010.)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dry-skin/DS00560/DSECTION=lifestyle%2Dand%2Dhome%2Dremedies
- WebMD. "Humidifiers: Moisture in the air eases skin, breathing symptoms." September 27, 2008. (April 22, 2010.)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/humidifiers/HQ00076
- WebMD. "Stress Management." September 20, 2009. (April 22, 2010)http://www.webmd.com/balance/stress-management/stress-management
- WebMD. "Understanding Dandruff: The Basics." November 30, 2009. (April 22, 2010)http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/understanding-dandruff-basics
- WebMD. "Understanding Dandruff: Treatment." November 30, 2009. (April 22, 2010)http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/understanding-dandruff-treatment
- Wellsphere. "Natural Treatment for Seborrheic Dermatitis, Cradle Cap, Dandruff, and Itchy Scalp." May 29, 2008. (April 22, 2010.)http://www.wellsphere.com/healthy-eating-article/natural-treatment-for-seborrheic-dermatitis-cradle-cap-dandruff-and-itchy-scalp/9909
Super lice are resistant to nearly all of the drugs currently used in the U.S. HowStuffWorks Now looks at what to do next.