Before you ever pick up the phone and call an elder law attorney, it's wise to do some research of your own. This will increase your confidence and comfort level with the topic so that you're able to ask the right questions and know whether you're hearing the correct answers in response.
There are numerous, free online tools that can help the general public acquaint themselves with the nuances of elder law.
A few resources include:
Want to learn more about elder law? Visit the links and resources below.
- Area Agency on Aging. "Legal Considerations When Facing Incapacity." 2011. (June 2, 2011) http://www.agingcarefl.org/about
- Department of Health and Human Services. "Eldercare Locator." May 31, 2011. (June 2, 2011) http://www.eldercare.gov/Eldercare.NET/Public/Index.aspx
- Elder Law Answers. "Elder-Law 101." 2008. (June 2, 2011) http://www.elderlawanswers.com/elder_info/elderlaw_info.asp
- Goldberg, Robert. Elder Law Attorney, The Elder Law Practice of Robert M. Goldberg in Griffin, Ga. Personal Interview. June 2, 2011. http://www.elderlawyergeorgia.com/site/
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc. "About." 2010. (June 2, 2011) http://www.naela.org/Public/
- National Elder Law Foundation. "Becoming a Certified Elder Law Attorney." 2011. (June 1, 2011) http://www.nelf.org/becoming-certified
- National Elder Law Foundation. "Qualifications Summary." 2011. (June 2, 2011) http://www.nelf.org/becoming-certified/qualifications-summary/
- Ruthann P. Lacey, P.C. Certified Elder Law Attorney. "Frequently Asked Questions." 1999-2010. (May 31, 2011) http://www.elderlaw-lacey.com/faq.html
- The Social Security and Disability Resource Center. "What is Elder Law?" 2011. (May 30, 2011) http://www.ssdrc.com/generalretirement17.html
- Special Needs Alliance. "Welcome to the Special Needs Alliance." 2011. (June 3, 2011) http://specialneedsalliance.com/home
- Super Lawyers. "Super Lawyers Selection Process." 2011. (June 3, 2011) http://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. "General Overview of the Medicaid Program." February 23, 2011. (June 3, 2011) https://www.cms.gov/MedicaidGenInfo/
What happens when the child becomes the parent? Being a caregiver to your parent can be a hard job. Get tips and information on when a child becomes the parent.