Below are some healthful tips from the ADA on enjoying your favorite comfort foods:
- Top low-fat ice cream with granola, or try sherbet topped with fruit.
- Opt for oatmeal-raisin, vanilla wafers or ginger snaps cookies.
- If you prefer salty foods, try popcorn, pretzels dipped in spicy mustard or baked tortilla chips and salsa.
- Instead of having seconds of hot chocolate, milk shakes, and eggnog, drink a glass of water.
- Add naturally sweet sliced or dried fruit to cereal, yogurt or pancakes.
- Add grated, shredded or chopped vegetables — zucchini, spinach, carrots — to lasagna, meat loaf, mashed potatoes, poultry, pasta, and grain dishes.
- Puree berries, apples, peaches, or pears for a thick, sweet sauce on grilled or broiled seafood or poultry.
- Add peanut butter to a sandwich at night or put it on toast with breakfast.
- Eat more whole grains and vegetables to be less tempted by sugars and fats.