Take a Walk Around the Block
Walking and other forms of moderate exercise can help reduce anxiety and elevate mood in a number of ways. Exercise increases body temperature, which helps you feel calmer and more in control. It also releases endorphins that make you feel happier and more relaxed. It's a one-two punch that's yours compliments of a quick 10-minute walk around the parking lot before a big meeting or a morning jog before that important presentation. Just about any physical activity that gets you up moving around has at least some benefit.
Exercise can help increase your confidence level by helping to distract your thoughts and get your brain working on other puzzles and challenges, too. Sometimes anticipating a big moment, like asking a girl for a date or preparing for a job interview, can ratchet up the tension -- in a very bad way. The increased adrenalin and racing thoughts may work against you, especially if you've finished all the necessary strategizing and have moved into a self-defeating, disaster anticipation mode. Take a walk around the block or perform some quick yoga moves. You'll feel calmer and may even come up with some last-minute ideas before the big moment.
- Cambridge University Press. "Building Self Confidence." (9/6/11). http://www.cambridge.org/other_files/downloads/esl/ventures/pdf/Ventures-TransitionsSBU02.pdf
- Edberg, Henrik. "How to Build Self Confidence: 6 Essential and Timeless Tips." 7/13/10. (9/7/11). http://www.positivityblog.com/index.php/2009/02/20/how-to-build-self-confidence/
- Ellin, Abby. "Seeking a Cure for Optimism." New York Times. 10/30/09. (9/6/11). http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/fashion/31positive.html
- Gallo, Amy. "How to Build Confidence." Harvard Business Review. 4/29/11. http://blogs.hbr.org/hmu/2011/04/how-to-build-confidence.html?cm_mmc=email-_-newsletter-_-management_tip-_-tip072711&referral=00203&utm_source=newsletter_management_tip&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=tip072711
- Mayo Clinic. "Depression and Anxiety: Exercise Eases Symptoms." 10/23/09. (9/7/11). http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depression-and-exercise/MH00043
- Pick the Brain. "10 Ways to Instantly Build Self Confidence." (9/6/11). http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/10-ways-to-instantly-build-self-confidence/
- Suddath, Claire. "Q & A Kathryn Stockett, Author of The Help." 11/11/09. (9/7/11). http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1937562,00.html
- Weisul, Kimberly. "The Power of Optimism." 2/24/11. (9/6/11). http://www.bnet.com/blog/business-research/the-power-of-optimism/898
HowStuffWorks looks at a study on stereotypes surrounding biracial people, including attractiveness and insecurity.