Moving in together can be one of the best decisions you and your partner make -- especially if it works out beautifully. To increase the odds of a beautiful result, consider these recommendations:
Be on neutral ground.
It's hard to feel truly at home when you move into someone else's space; and if someone else moves into yours, it may feel like your space is being invaded. If possible, start fresh in a home you pick out together.
You may already be on the same page regarding chores and finances, but if you're not, it could prove disastrous. So on the off-chance you're not thinking the same thing, discuss these unpleasantries beforehand and work out a detailed plan regarding how things like cleaning, cooking, rent and utilities will be split.
Give yourself some space.
As much as you love spending time with your partner, remember, we're talking 24/7. Few people can manage that level of togetherness without some kind of break. Make sure you each have, guilt-free, some type of area to call your own, plenty of "me" time and/or time with your other friends built into your living arrangement.
Hope for the best…
But plan for the worst. If all goes well, your cohabitation will last for years and years and you'll live happily ever after. But, as you've probably already learned, break-ups do happen. So set romance aside for a moment, and be practical: When it comes to things like buying furniture or adopting pets to fill up your new, shared space, split up the items between you rather than the cost. You'll be in so much less of a pickle should you decide to part ways.
Now quick, back to the romance. (You're moving in together!)
For more information on relationship and related topics, look over the links below.
- Eckel, Sarah. "Are You Ready to Live Together?" My Lifetime. July 7, 2007. (Sept. 20, 2010)http://www.mylifetime.com/lifestyle/relationships/dating/are-you-ready-live-together
- Muller, Heidi. "Living With Your Girlfriend." Ask Men. (Sept. 20, 2010)http://www.askmen.com/dating/heidi_60/66_dating_girl.html
- Palmer, Kimberly. "Are You Ready to Move In Together?" U.S. News & World Report. July 22, 2008. (Sept. 20, 2010)http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/alpha-consumer/2008/07/22/quiz-are-you-ready-to-move-in-together
- Triffin, Molly. "Should You Move in With Your Guy?" Cosmopolitan. (Sept. 20, 2010)http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/relationship-advice/moving-in-together
- Voo, Jocelyn. "Moving In Together: What To Do First And How To Make It Work." The Huffington Post. Aug. 18, 2008. (Sept. 20, 2010)http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/18/moving-in-together-what-t_n_119641.html
- Wish, LeslieBeth. "Should My Partner and I Move in Together?" Quality Health.http://www.qualityhealth.com/relationships-articles/should-my-partner-i-move-together