Eyeliner defines and accentuates the shape of your eyes. It can add a touch of glamour to an everyday makeup palette.
When you shop for eyeliner, you'll notice that you have a few different options:
- Liquid eyeliner gives eyes a dramatic look -- but only if you can apply it without smearing, which isn't always easy. Use liquid liner after you've put on eyeshadow, but before you apply mascara. Remove extra liner from the applicator first, and then run the liner only over your upper lash line.
- Gel eyeliners are similar to liquids, but you may have to apply a few coats to get the look you want.
- Powder eyeliner softly fills in the lower lash line, and it can be a good add-on if you're using a liquid eyeliner along your top lashes. Apply it using a thin, stiff brush, shaking off the excess to avoid smudges.
Neutral eyeliner shades -- browns, grays, and blacks -- are best for everyday. If you're going out for the evening and really want to make an impact, you can add a touch of color.
When you apply eyeliner, don't go for the Cleopatra look. Start at the inner corner of your eye and work your way only to the outer corner -- no further. Trace a thin line to start. You can always retrace it for a darker, more impactful look.
- Begoun, Paula. The Complete Beauty Bible: The Ultimate Guide to Smart Beauty. Rodale, 2004.
- Berg, Rona. Fast Beauty: 1,000 Quick Fixes. Workman Publishing, 2005.
- Brown, Bobbi. Bobbi Brown beauty evolution: a guide to a lifetime of beauty. HarperCollins, 2002.
- Brown, Lillian. Your Public Best: The Complete Guide to Making Successful Public Appearances in the Meeting Room, on the Platform, and on TV. Newmarket Press, 2003.
- Campo, Riku. The Best in Beauty: An Ultimate Guide to Makeup and Skincare Techniques. Simon and Schuster, 2010.
- Campsie, Jane, David Parfitt, and Troy Vord. Marie Claire Hair & Makeup. Sterling Publishing Company, 2006.
- Cressy, Susan. The Beauty Therapy Fact File. Heinemann, 2004.
- Davis, Annie. How to Apply Make Up Like a Professional Make Up Artist. BookBrewer.
- Ellis, Kori. "6 Tips for Using Concealer." She Knows. January 13, 2011. (Jan. 12, 2012) http://www.sheknows.com/beauty-and-style/articles/822068/6-tips-for-using-concealer.
- Gonzalez, Anthony. Cosmetology. Global Media, 2007.
- Irons, Diane. The World's Best-Kept Beauty Secrets: What Really Works in Beauty, Diet, and Fashion. Perseus Books Group, 2005.
- Johnson, Lois Joy, Sandy Linter, and Bette Midler. The Makeup Wakeup: Revitalizing Your Look at Any Age. Running Press, 2011.
- Jones, Robert. Makeup Makeovers in 5, 10, 15, and 20 Minutes: Expert Secrets for Stunning Transformations. Fair Winds, 2012.
- Mason, Linda. Makeup for Ageless Beauty: More Than 40 Colorful, Creative Looks for Women. Random House Digital, 2011.
- Wechsler, Amy. The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Reverse Stress Aging and Reveal More Youthful, Beautiful Skin. Simon and Schuster, 2008.
Are there dangers lurking in your lip color? Find out if lead in lipstick can cause cancer at HowStuffWorks.