Now that you know about bronzer shades and how to match them to your skin tone, it's time to consider which type of bronzer will work best with your skin type.
Some women prefer cream or gel bronzers because they can add moisture to the skin. Beauty experts say that if you are after a dewy glow, liquid or gel bronzers will do the trick [source: Pantin].
If you have oily skin, you may prefer powder bronzers. The powder can help your skin look less oily, while a liquid bronzer might only make things worse. Furthermore, powder bronzers are usually easier to blend than liquid bronzers, so if you're a beginner bronzer, powder is a good place to start [source: Jones].
A liquid bronzer must be applied with a slightly damp makeup wedge or your fingers. It has the texture of foundation, but is decidedly not foundation. You need to be very careful about avoiding streak lines on your skin when you use liquid or crème bronzers.
If you don't want the dryness of powder or the difficult application of a liquid bronzer, try one in between. Crème and gel bronzers are easy to apply and can be used without foundation. They blend in with your natural skin easily but do not often streak. And they work best with normal to dry skin -- a great compromise for all skin types [source: Jones].
To learn more about bronzers and other beauty products, visit the Web sites listed below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Brown, Bobbi. "Get the Glow." Prevention. August 2, 2004. (8/23/2009)http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/get-the-glow/35fc88dc78803110VgnVCM10000013281eac____/lifelong.beauty/makeup/bobbi.brown
- Buen-Chown, Julie. "That Healthier Glow." Ottawa Citizen, August 3, 2009. (8/10/09). http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/That+healthier+glow/1855412/story.html
- CBS News. "Fixing Your Makeup Mess." (8/11/09)http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/06/earlyshow/living/beauty/main5218967.shtml
- Hebert, Emily. "Beauty Tip: Bronzer Done Right." Elle Magazine, May 1, 2009. (8/11/09)http://www.elle.com/Beauty/Makeup-Skin-Care/Beauty-Tip-Bronzer-Done-Right
- Iman, Tia Williams. "The Beauty of Color" Google Books. (8/22/2009)http://books.google.com/books?id=AXUOYfz3juoC&pg=PA22&dq=bronzer,+brush&lr=#v=onepage&q=bronzer%2C%20brush&f=false
- Irons, Diana. "Bargain Beauty Secrets" Google Books. (8/21/2009)http://books.google.com/books?id=JAsVvBXqmM8C&pg=PA166&dq=bronzer&lr=#v=onepage&q=bronzer&f=false
- Jewell, Diana Lewis and Peter Freed. "Going Grey, Looking Great" Google Books. (8/22/2009) http://books.google.com/books?id=gAZ0VUbbrHEC&pg=PA145&dq=bronzer+blush&lr=#v=onepage&q=bronzer%20blush&f=false
- Jones, Robert. "Look Younger" Google Books. (8/21/2009)http://books.google.com/books?id=6BNK3a-rtEIC&pg=PA202&dq=bronzer&lr=#v=onepage&q=bronzer&f=false
- Kantrowitz, Barbara and Pat Wingert. "The Fake Bake Debate." Newsweek. April 15, 2008. (Accessed 8/22/2009)http://www.newsweek.com/id/132212
- Pantin, Laurel. "Bronzer Tips from the Pro!" Teen Vogue Magazine. (8/11/09)http://www.teenvogue.com/beauty/blogs/beauty/2009/07/bronzer-tips-from-the-pro.html
- Pearl, Eve. "Plastic Surgery without the Surgery" Google Books. (8/23/2009)http://books.google.com/books?id=2NW4ULlE7lkC&pg=PA21&dq=bronzer+foundation&lr=#v=onepage&q=bronzer%20foundation&f=false
- Quinn, Erin. "Beauty 101: Bronzer." Glamour Magazine. (8/11/09)http://www.glamour.com/beauty/2009/06/beauty-101-bronzer#slide=1
- StyleList. "Beauty Basics: Bronzer Step-by-Step." (8/11/09)http://www.stylelist.com/beauty/beauty-basics/bronzer-step-by-step
- Thomson, Kerri. "Sometimes Less Is Not More" Google Books. (8/22/2009)http://books.google.com/books?id=wOPr8q8fLuAC&pg=RA1-PA21&dq=bronzer,+season&lr=#v=onepage&q=bronzer%2C%20season&f=false
- Warren, Emily. "Tan-fastic! (Bronze Makeup)." Cosmo Girl Magazine. (8/11/09)http://www.cosmogirl.com/fashion/prom/self-tanner-secrets
- Woman's Day. "Picking the Perfect Blush or Bronzer." (8/11/09)http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Beauty/Picking-the-Perfect-Blush-or-Bronzer.html