As with many other skin treatments, the downside of an oxygen facial is that its effects don't last forever. To maintain the dewy, smooth skin, it is recommended that a person get treatments once a week for the first six weeks, then return each month for a regular upkeep treatment [source: Singer].
A treatment might typically cost from $150 to $300 per visit [source: Parnass]. With repeated treatments necessary, a year of oxygen facials could set you back anywhere from $2,500 to $5,000.
The high cost has driven people with lower budgets who want the same experience to purchase at-home kits, which are available online and in some stores for less than $100. But you might get just what you pay for. Some professionals say the at-home machines generally can't match the level of precision achieved by spa equipment [source: Bargas].
Instead, if you're looking for an inexpensive, do-it-yourself alternative to an oxygen facial, you might try a hydrating mask with hyaluronic acid. The chemical, which is used in the serum applied during oxygen facials, is said to boost moisture and plump the face to reduce the appearance of wrinkles [source: Parnass].
For more information on oxygen facials, check out the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Bargas, Marie. "The Oxygen Facial: Fact, Fiction, Fabulous." BeautyNewsLA.com. April 2006. (Accessed 7/26/09)http://www.beautynewsla.com/skin-care/the-oxygen-facial-fact-fiction-fabulous/
- Beauty Heaven. "Tried and Tested: Make-Up Loving Facial." Aug. 18, 2008. (Accessed 7/25/09)http://www.beautyheaven.com.au/article/tried-and-tested-make-up-loving-facial
- Parnass, Alexandra. "Fast New Beauty Fixes." Harper's Bazaar. (Accessed 7/25/09) http://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/beauty-articles/fast-new-beauty-fixes-0307
- Singer, Natasha. "Does the Quick-Fix Oxygen Facial Really Work?" The New York Times. April 6, 2006. (Accessed 7/25/09)http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/06/fashion/thursdaystyles/06skin.html
- Vilette, Michelle. "Air Supply." Elle Canada. May 2008. (Accessed 7/26/09) http://www.intraceuticals.com/press/elle_A4_01%20Canada%20formatted.pdf