If you're prone to dry skin, you can treat it -- and possibly even prevent it -- with a few simple tricks. First, line up your skin care products and read the ingredient lists. Then, consult the ingredients guidelines outlined on the previous pages and check to see if you're using the products properly.
Next, dissect how you cleanse your skin. If you take long, hot showers multiple times a day, stop that habit immediately. Make sure your bath soap is moisturizing -- not deodorizing -- because deodorizing soaps can strip your skin of its oils. After showering, you can seal in that moisture by applying baby oil to your skin before drying off. You can also liberally apply lotion to your skin before toweling off. Bothered by scaly feet? Apply lotion to your tootsies before bed and cover them with a pair of lightweight socks. The same trick is recommended for hands. Before washing dishes, apply lotion to your hands and slip on rubber gloves [source: Davis].
Now that you know the basics of a daily dry skin care regimen, you can visit the links on the following page to learn more.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Skin Care Questions
- Oehlke, Sandra. "Moisturizing and Bathing Tips to Help Manage and Soothe Your Eczema." The Advocate. The National Eczema Association. Fourth Quarter 2007. http://www.nationaleczema.org/news/advocate/2007_04q_moisturizing_and_bathing_tips_to_help_sooth_your_eczema.pdf
- Article Archives. "Packaged Facts Report: Innovative Trends in U.S. Cosmeceuticals Bring in Top Dollar." June 14, 2008 (Accessed 7/28/09) http://www.articlearchives.com/consumer-products/personal-care-products-cosmetics/345916-1.html
- Bouchez, Colette. "Spring Cleaning: How to Pamper Your Skin. What to do right now to get your face and body ready for spring." WebMD. March 21, 2005. (Accessed 7/28/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/spring-cleaning-how-to-pamper-your-skin?page=3
- Davis, Susan. "10 Winter Skin Care Tips. The weather outside may be unsightly, but your skin doesn't have to be. How to banish dry skin and give your winter skin care regimen a boost." WebMD. Dec. 21, 2007. (Accessed 7/28/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/ten-winter-skin-care-tips
- Find Articles. "Don't Skimp on Skin Care as Nasty Weather Chaps and Dries." Jan. 28, 2008. (Accessed 7/28/09) http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20080128/ai_n21218574/
- Find Articles. "Diversity of population reflected in skin care." Aug. 11, 2008. (Accessed 7/28/09) http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb3235/is_12_25/ai_n29457773/
- Caplan, Richard. "Eczema: The Dry Skin Disease." University of Iowa Health Science Relations. Oct. 19, 2006.
- MayoClinic.com November, 26, 2008. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/dry-skin/DS00560.html
- WebMD "Eczema." 2009. (Accessed 8/14/09) http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/eczema