Perhaps the most important skin moisturizing tip we can give you is to know and trust yourself. Everyone's body is different, and no set of tips is comprehensive or applicable to all people. If your skin is less dry when you're using natural skin care products, ditch the chemicals and go organic. If your xerosis feels better when you cut out a few baths per week, don't bathe every day. While it's generally recommended to stick to a daily moisturizing regimen, your skin won't shrivel up if you only apply a moisturizer when you feel like it or whenever your skin feels dry. Failing to use a moisturizer won't even cause wrinkles [source: Cosgrave]. You're the one who has to be comfortable in your skin, so figure out what works for you and disregard everything else.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. "Dry Skin (Xerosis)." 2009. (08/12/09)http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/dry_skin.html
- Brannon, Heather. "Skin Anatomy." About.com. 04/09/07. (09/01/09)http://dermatology.about.com/cs/skinanatomy/a/anatomy.htm
- Chung, Sue. "At-Home Microdermabrasion Kits." MySkinCareConnection. HealthCentral. 11/09/07. (09/06/09)http://www.healthcentral.com/skin-care/c/38641/16153/athome-kits
- Cosgrave, Bronwyn, Juliet Cohen, Rachel Marlowe, Kathy Phillips, Lizzie Radford. "Vogue Beauty." "Caring for Your Skin." 2000. Carlton Books, London.
- Day, Dorris J with Sondra Forsyth. "Forget the Facelift: Dr. Day Turns Back the Clock with a Revolutionary Program for Ageless Skin." "My Quick-Start Ageless Skin Guide." 2005. Penguin Group, New York.
- Dermasil Labs. "Xerotic Eczema Explained by Dermasil Labs." Rise International Group. 2009. (09/03/09)http://www.dermasillabs.com/dryskinar1.html
- Dermaxime. "Exfoliating Facial Scrub." 2009. (09/06/09)http://www.dermaxime.com/face-scrub.htm
- Downie, Jeanine and Fran Cook-Bolden. "Beautiful Skin of Color." 2004. Harper-Collins, New York.
- Encyclopedia Britannica. "Sebaceous Gland." 2009. (09/01/09)http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/531186/sebaceous-gland
- Griffin, R. Morgan. "What's Causing Your Dry Skin Problem?" WebMD. 03/06/09. (09/09/09)http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/whats-causing-your-dry-skin-problem
- Harvard Medical School. "Sun-Damaged Skin." AOL Health. 05/14/07. (09/06/09)http://www.aolhealth.com/conditions/sun-damaged-skin
- HealthWatch. "Eye Wrinkles -- You're Too young to Look That Old!" Health Watch Journal. 2009. (09/01/09)http://www.healthwatchjournal.com/
- Holetzky, Sherry. "What are the Benefits of Bath Salts?" wiseGEEK. 2009. (09/03/09)http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-benefits-of-bath-salts.htm
- Jacknin, Jeanette. "Smart Medicine for Your Skin." "Dry Skin" 2001. Penguin Putnam, New York.
- Keville, Kathi and Mindy Green. "Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art." "Dry Skin." 1995. (09/09/09)http://books.google.com/books?id=smoUbs8UplYC&pg=PA93&lpg=PA93&dq=aromatherapy+dry+skin&source=bl&ots=XXiKNxMNt1&sig=p2hYXPtOTrJ91RsosDDSW4I4B-Y&hl=en&ei=xy2oSuGTJZ6ltgfJ_PGpCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=aromatherapy%20dry%20skin&f=false
- Krivda, Michael S. "Making the Choice." Skin & Aging. 06/15/2004. (09/02/09)http://www.skinandaging.com/article/2766
- Leffell, David J. "Total Skin: The Definitive Guide to Whole Skin Care for Life." 2000. Hyperion, New York.
- Milton S. Hershey Medical Center College of Medicine. "Health and Disease Information: A to Z Topics: Xerosis." Penn State. 10/31/06. (09/01/09)http://www.hmc.psu.edu/healthinfo/uz/xerosis.htm
- Paula's Choice. "Skin Care Solutions for Dry Skin." 2009. (09/01/09)http://www.cosmeticscop.com/skin-care-solutions-dry-skin-care-maintaining-appearance-health.aspx
- Skinsight. "Dry Skin (Xerosis)." 12/22/08. (09/03/09)http://www.skinsight.com/adult/xerosis.htm
Having a cold is brutal on your skin. Getting a chapped nose can be painful, so follow our tips for treating a chapped nose.