Freckles are caused by sun exposure, and people who are more susceptible to sunburn are more likely to accumulate freckles. For example, because their genetic makeup gives them pale skin, redheads often have freckles. If you're someone who tends to collect freckles, after you do away with them, you'll probably accumulate replacements unless you change something.
Vitamin C not only prevents germs from infecting you and making you sick, it also prevents the sun from adversely affecting your skin. It literally prevents pigment from clustering into freckles. Make sure to consume at least the daily-recommended U.S. Department of Agriculture amount of vitamin C, either in foods or as a supplement. Similarly, vitamin E is thought to gradually equalize pigmentation. In other words, it makes your skin more uniform in tone.
And, of course, wear sunscreen of at least SPF 15 whenever you're going to be out in the sun for even a short amount of time.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Bernstein, Dr. Eric F. "What Causes Freckles." The Patient's Guide: Freckles. 2009. http://www.freckles.org/causes.aspx
- Bernstein, Dr. Eric F. "Getting Rid of Freckles." The Patient's Guide: Freckles. 2009.http://www.freckles.org/removing.aspx
- Bernstein, Dr. Eric F. "Freckle Removal." The Patient's Guide: Freckles. 2009.http://www.freckles.org/freckleremoval.aspx
- Grayson, Charlotte E. "Chemical Peel Treatments." Medicine Net. Jan. 31, 2005.http://www.medicinenet.com/chemical_peel/article.htm
- Hebert, Emily. "Perfect Skin for Summer." Elle. April 27, 2010.http://www.elle.com/Beauty/Makeup-Skin-Care/Perfect-Skin-for-Summer
- Kavi Skin Solutions. "Retinol." June 2009.http://www.kaviskin.com/info/retinol.html
- Levine, Norman. "Skin Conditions: Moles, Freckles, and Skin Tags." WebMd. March 1, 2007.http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/moles-freckles-skin-tags
- Skin Care Guide. "6 Natural Ways to Lighten Freckles." Feb. 24, 2010.http://www.skincareguide.com/article/6-natural-ways-to-lighten-freckles.html
- Skin Care Guide. "7 Best Ways to Get Rid of Freckles." Feb. 24, 2010.http://www.skincareguide.com/article/7-best-ways-to-get-rid-of-freckles.html
Why does the skin of people with acne age less than the skin of those who don't? HowStuffWorks Now reports on what scientists have learned.