Typical treatments for skin fungus include topical creams, usually with one of two types of anti-fungal ingredients: allylamines or azoles. Allylamines will work faster, but are typically more expensive than azoles [source: Mayo Clinic].
Some skin fungus creams and ointments are over-the-counter, but if that doesn't do the trick, see a doctor for something prescription-strength. Pills are also an option for some types of infection. A medication for tinea versicolor, for example, may contain ketoconazole, itraconazole or fluconazole.
If the basics of skin fungus aren't enough to satisfy your curiosity, try the links below.
- Alexander, Margaret F. et al. "Nursing Practice: Hospital and Home: The Adult." Elsevier HealthServices. 2006. (May 13, 2010). http://books.google.com/books?id=3Yz1QlhFEi4C
- Dhar, A. Damian, MD. "Candidiasis." The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library. Last updated August 2008. (May 13, 2010). http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec18/ch212/ch212b.html
- Dhar, A. Damian, MD. "Dematophytoses." The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library. Last updated August 2008. (May 13, 2010). http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec10/ch120/ch120c.html
- Dockery, Gary L.., Mary Elizabeth Crawford. "Color Atlas of Foot and Ankle Dermatology." Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 1999. (May 13, 2010). http://books.google.com/books?id=wQkML9WQfXsC
- Mayo Clinic. "Athlete's foot." Nov. 22, 2008 (May 13, 2010) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/athletes-foot/DS00317/METHOD=print&DSECTION=all
- Mayo Clinic. "Jock Itch." Nov. 15, 2008. (May 13, 2010) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/jock-itch/DS00490/METHOD=print
- Mayo Clinic. "Tinea versicolor." Feb 23, 2010. (May 13, 2010) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tinea-versicolor/DS00635/METHOD=print&DSECTION=all
- Wallace, Robert B., and Neal Kohatsu "Public Health & Preventative Medicine." McGraw-Hill Professional. 2008. (May 13, 2010) http://books.google.com/books?id=5ACWr8YcB2AC
- WebMD. "Jock Itch." WebMD. Last updated March 24, 2009. (May 13, 2010) http://men.webmd.com/tc/jock-itch-topic-overview
- WebMD. "Tinea Versicolor." WebMD. Last updated Nov. 9, 2009. (May 13, 2010) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/tinea-versicolor-topic-overview
Acne isn't just for teenagers. Anyone can be affected! Learn acne basics plus easy ways to prevent and treat unwanted pimples.