In a survey conducted by cosmetic company Ultima II, women over the age of 45 revealed that lipstick was the one beauty item that they couldn't leave home without [source: PR Newswire]. However, makeup experts are divided in their views on the best way to apply that product. The issue at the heart of the matter is the fact that a person's lips thin over time. Some professionals think that a lip liner should always be applied before lipstick, so as to give the lip a little more definition. Others find lip liner unnecessary, arguing that such a product will only create a very harsh line that will do your thinning lips no favors.
Regardless of whether you decide lip liner is essential or not, you should reevaluate the kinds of products you're putting on your lips. Lip glosses will have a tendency to slip around now that lips are thinner, and even if you've loved dark shades all your life, it may be time to lighten up. Those darker palettes will only look harsher as you age; going just a few shades lighter will make a huge difference.
Before you head out to purchase new beauty supplies, visit the next page for more interesting stories.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Coffey, Laura T. "Women going gray to save money? No way!" Today Show. March 12, 2009. (April 20, 2009)http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29647902/
- Dyett, Linda. "Expert Anti-Aging Tips." Prevention. Dec. 7, 2004. (April 20, 2009)http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/expert-anti-aging-tips/651cd08f88803110VgnVCM20000012281eac____/lifelong.beauty/anti.aging.arsenal
- Gluck, Didi. "Is Your Hair Aging You?" Marie Claire. May 2008. (April 20, 2009)http://www.marieclaire.com/hair-beauty/trends/articles/hair-aging
- Iverson, Annemarie. "Help for Thinning Hair." More Magazine. April 2009. (April 20, 2009)http://www.more.com/style/hair/help-for-thinning-hair/
- Kolsky Hertzig, Alyssa. "Does Your Hair Make You Look Old?" WebMD and Good Housekeeping. Feb. 20, 2008. (April 20, 2009)http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/does-your-hair-make-you-look-old
- "Makeup Solutions for Aging Skin." More Magazine. December 2008/January 2009. (April 20, 2009)http://www.more.com/style/beauty/skin-over-40/solutions-for-aging-skin/
- "Midlife Makeup Tips." ABC News. (April 20, 2009)http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story?id=125724&page=1
- Monsma, Genevieve. "Age-defying eye tricks." Shape. April 2008. (April 20, 2009)http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0846/is_8_27/ai_n24958954/
- Morales, Tatiana. "Make-Up For Mature Women." CBS Early Show. Jan. 26, 2004. (April 20, 2009)http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/01/23/earlyshow/living/beauty/main595496.shtml?CMP=ILC-SearchStories
- Poirot, Lissa. "Makeup Tips for Aging Skin." WebMD. Feb. 19, 2009. (April 20, 2009)http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/makeup-tips-for-aging-skin
- "Ultima II Finds Women Over 45 Optimistic About the Future as the Millennium Approaches." PR Newswire. Sept. 27, 1999. (April 20, 2009)http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=105&STORY=/www/story/09-27-1999/0001030368
- Van Gelder, Lindsy. "10 Beauty Mistakes That Add 10 Years." Allure. (April 27, 2009)http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/223/10-beauty-mistakes-that-add-10-years/
5 Ways To Age Gracefully and Healthfully will show you healthy ways to age gracefully. Read on to discover 5 Ways To Age Gracefully and Healthfully.