Once you've reached your desired weight, it's time to move on to the final phase (phase three) of the program. Phase three is meant to be a somewhat relaxed plan and something you can maintain for the rest of your life. Basically, you'll be relying on what you learned in the first two phases about low-carb dieting and making the right food choices to follow that lifestyle to maintain the weight loss you've achieved up to this point. But since phase three is all about maintenance and living the rest of your life on this plan, it takes into account all kinds of foods and tries to make allowances for eating beyond the parameters of the plan.
As long as you keep out the bad carbs, you can eat most normal foods in normal-sized portions. If you are wondering what a sample menu might look like in phase three, it's a lot like what you would be eating in Phase 2. For breakfast, you might to start with half of a grapefruit and coffee or tea with fat-free milk and a sugar substitute followed by eggs with cheese and salsa and a slice of whole grain toast [source: Free Dieting]. For lunch, you could have a red onion, spinach and roast beef wrap and chocolate dipped apricots [source: Keefe]. Dinner might include a tossed salad and grilled salmon with salsa, with lemon-peel ricotta crème for dessert [Source: Free Dieting].
Now that you know more about the South Beach Diet, whether you choose to follow the plan or not is up to you. As with any diet, it's a good idea to discuss your plans with your doctor first.
Be sure to check out the links listed below to learn more about the South Beach Diet and related topics. Cheers to good health.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Agatston, Arthur "The South Beach Diet: The Delicious, Doctor-Designed, Foolproof Plan for Fast and Healthy Weight Loss" St. Martin's 2003
- Diet Channel, the. "South Beach Diet." (Accessed 3/3/09) http://www.thedietchannel.com/South-Beach-Diet.htm
- Diets in Review. "South Beach Diet." (Accessed 3/3/09) http://www.dietsinreview.com/diets/South_Beach_Diet/
- Hager, Mary G. "The south beach solution." Vegetarian Times, Jan2004, Issue 317 (accessed 3/23/09 via Health Source, Consumer Edition Database) http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=hxh&AN=11552062&site=ehost-live
- Free Dieting. "South Beach Diet." (Accessed 3/3/09) http://www.freedieting.com/south_beach_diet.htm
- Keefe, Sarah. "The South Beach Diet." Ask Men. (Accessed 3/3/09) http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_100/102_eating_well.html
- Kraft Foods. "South Beach Living" (Accessed 3/23/09) http://brands.kraftfoods.com/SouthBeachLiving//CMS_Templates/IFrame_Template.aspx
- South Beach Diet. "South Beach Diet." (Accessed 3/3/09) http://www.southbeach-diet.info/
- The South Beach Diet Online. "How It Works." (Accessed 3/3/09) http://www.southbeachdiet.com/sbd/publicsite/how-it-works/how-it-works.aspx
- The South Beach Diet Plan. "South Beach Diet." (Accessed 3/3/09) http://www.south-beach-diet-plan.com/
- South Beach Diet Plan for Beginner. "South Beach Diet Phase." (Accessed 3/3/09) http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/
- Web MD. "The South Beach Diet: What It Is." July 11, 2007. (Accessed 3/3/09) http://www.webmd.com/diet/south-beach-diet-what-it-is