A Harvard University research team studying the effects of low testosterone and its links to depression found that during any given year, approximately 8 percent of men over 30 will suffer a serious bout of depression [source: Cromie].
But depression doesn't always have a physical cause, nor does it always express itself through classic symptoms like a loss of motivation, sadness or lack of energy. Depression in men can also manifest through increased risk-taking behavior, anger and aggression, or alcohol abuse [source: Zamora]. It can also be labeled as a midlife crisis.
Though a midlife crisis is traditionally thought of as affecting older men, a UK study has shown that men in their mid-30s can certainly fall prone to the feelings of dissatisfaction and a greater awareness of their own mortality [source: BBC News]. The joke is that a guy simply buys a sports car to get through it, but depression and midlife crises are no laughing matter; men are four times as likely to commit suicide as women [source: Zamora]. This is thought to be because guys are less likely to consider themselves clinically depressed and therefore less likely to seek treatment.
So if you're feeling glum without an immediately obvious cause, it wouldn't be a bad idea to seek help. If your testosterone levels are normal, you could consider mental health counseling. Talk therapy has actually been shown to be as effective as prescription antidepressants for banishing the blues [source: Doheny]. And although it doesn't come naturally to guys, talking about your feelings could be the best way to ensure you're around to keep talking to your loved ones in your 40s.
- Aaron, Kiera. "The Newest Testosterone Booster." Men's Health. Jan. 8, 2011. (Feb. 24, 2011)http://blogs.menshealth.com/health-headlines/the-newest-testosterone-booster/2011/01/08
- AOL Health Editors. "Midlife Crisis Hitting People in Mid-30s." AOL Health. Nov. 18, 2010. (Feb. 15, 2011)http://www.aolhealth.com/2010/11/18/midlife-crisis-hitting-younger-age-group/
- BBC News/Health. "Mid-life crisis begins in mid-30s, Relate survey says." Sept. 28, 2010. (Feb. 14, 2011)http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11429993
- Brant, John. "Look Great at Any Age." Men's Health. 2010. (Feb. 14, 2011)http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/build-strength-at-any-age/printer.php
- Cromie, William J. "Testosterone drives away the blues: May provide relief for some male depression." Harvard University Gazette. Jan. 9, 2003. (Feb. 19, 2011)http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2003/01.09/01-testosterone.html
- Doheny, Kathleen. "Survey: Talk Therapy as Good as Antidepressants." WebMD. June 1, 2010. (Feb. 16, 2011)http://www.webmd.com/depression/news/20100601/survey-talk-therapy-as-good-as-antidepressants
- Ferguson, Carol. "Health Tips for Men in their 30s, 40s, 50s & Beyond." TasteForLife.com. (Feb. 16, 2011)http://www.tasteforlife.com/eating-well/nutritional-tips/health-tips-men-their-30s-40s-50s-beyond
- Hecks, Sarah. "Stay fit in your 30s." Men's Health. (Feb. 18, 2011)http://www.menshealth.co.uk/fitness/cardio-exercise/stay-fit-in-your-30s-102995
- Kidd, Deanna. "Men and Heart Health in Their 30s." Ohio Medical Group. Apr. 14, 2010. (Feb. 23, 2011)http://blog.partnersforyourhealth.com/Blog/bid/38312/Men-and-Heart-Health-in-Their-30s
- Liebman, Bonnie. "Breaking up: Strong bones need more than calcium." Nutrition Action Healthletter. April 2005. (Feb. 21, 2011)http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0813/is_3_32/ai_n13664943/
- Mayo Clinic Staff. "Slide show: Guide to portion control for weight loss." Apr. 29, 2010. (Feb. 16, 2011)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/portion-control/NU00267
- Mayo Clinic Staff. "Testicular cancer: Symptoms." Oct. 3, 2009. (Feb. 19, 2011)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/testicular-cancer/DS00046/DSECTION=symptoms
- Mayo Clinic Staff. "Testosterone therapy: Key to male vitality?" Apr. 10, 2010. (Feb. 17, 2011)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/testosterone-therapy/MC00030
- MedlinePlus. "Testicular self-examination." Sept. 22, 2009. (Feb. 18, 2011)http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003909.htm
- Mehmet, Oz. "Dr. Oz's 25 Greatest Health Tips." Men's Health. (Feb. 20, 2011)http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/essential_health_tips/Dr_Oz_Tip_9.php
- Men's Health. "30s - What Changes & How To Fix It." May 8, 2004. (Feb. 17, 2011)http://www.menshealth.com/health/30s-what-changes-how-fix-it
- Men's Health. "5 Easy Ways To Increase Your Manpower." (Feb. 23, 2011)http://www.menshealth.com/health/5-easy-ways-increase-your-manpower
- Men's Health. "Essential health checks: 30s." (Feb. 24, 2011)http://www.menshealth.co.uk/healthy/symptoms-treatment/essential-health-checks-30s-158980
- Murphy, Ryan. "Hitting Your Peak: Physical Health." AskMen. (Feb. 22, 2011)http://www.askmen.com/daily/austin_150/155_fashion_style.html
- National Institutes of Health: Office of Dietary Supplements. "Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Vitamin D." (Feb. 22, 2011)http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind/
- Park, Justin. "5 medical tests that could save your life." Men's Health. Aug. 23, 2009. (Feb. 14, 2011)http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31892143/ns/health-mens_health/
- Prostate Cancer Foundation. "Prostate Cancer FAQs." (Feb. 15, 2011)http://www.pcf.org/site/c.leJRIROrEpH/b.5800851/k.645A/Prostate_Cancer_FAQs.htm
- PubMed Health. "Testicular Cancer." National Center for Biotechnology Information. Sept. 6, 2010. (Feb. 20, 2011)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002266
- Santoso, Alex. "Prostate Health 101." (Feb. 17, 2011)http://www.askmen.com/sports/health_100/124_mens_health_a.html
- Tuma, Rabiya S. "Prostate cancer: prognosis is good for men in their 30s." Oncology Times UK. May 2008. (Feb. 16, 2011)http://journals.lww.com/oncotimesuk/Fulltext/2008/05000/Prostate_cancer__prognosis_is_good_for_men_in.13.aspx
- UAB Medicine. "Checklist For Your Next Checkup." 2008. (Feb. 15, 2011)http://www.health.uab.edu/14823/
- Vann, Madeline. "1 in 4 Men Over 30 Has Low Testosterone." ABC News/Health. (Feb. 18, 2011)http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/story?id=4508669
- Washington Hospital Healthcare System. "Ten Tips For Improving Men's Health." June 17, 2009. (Feb. 18, 2011)http://www.whhs.com/news?id=7281
- Zamora, Dulce. "Men's Top 5 Health Concerns." WebMD. Apr. 20, 2007. (Feb. 21, 2011)http://men.webmd.com/features/mens-top-5-health-concerns
HowStuffWorks looks at a study linking time spent with childhood friends with improved outcomes in men's health.