CoQ10 and Skin Health
Are you in your 20s? If so, keep reading, but you'll need to remember this information for later, much later -- as you currently have the most CoQ10 in your body than you ever will. And it will only decrease with age. So if you're in your 30s, it's worth a pause, and if you've reached 40 and are interested in keeping your skin youthful and healthy looking, you definitely want to stop and learn about CoQ10 and skin health.
Some studies and trials have reported that CoQ10 can counteract free radicals and the damage they cause [source: Katsman]. Free radicals are molecules that have unpaired electrons, making them highly reactive. They can damage cells, particularly in this case your skin cells, causing wrinkles and making your skin appear older. The antioxidants within CoQ10 can withstand and reverse skin damage, preserving the collagen and elastin within your skin cells to make you appear younger.
More and more products on the market, particularly skin-care creams, are adding CoQ10 as an ingredient because of these properties. The idea that CoQ10 can reverse damage is probably the most alluring. However, if you're 50 and you're wondering if you will suddenly look 30 again, the answer is, "Not likely." No cream is known to produce results that dramatic, and like most of CoQ10's purported benefits and utilizations, there still need to be more studies conducted before the results are conclusive.
If you're intrigued by the potential of CoQ10 and decide to add it to your daily regimen, remember it's a good idea to consult your doctor first.
To learn more, visit the links on the following page.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Challem, Jack. "Coenzyme Q10." The Nutrition Reporter. 1995. (Accessed 3/13/09) http://www.thenutritionreporter.com/coenzymeq10.html
- Connolly, Kevin. "Ubiquinol; The Other Half of the CoQ10 Story." Total Health Magazine. July 23, 2007. (Accessed 3/13/09) http://www.jarrow.com/article/177/Ubiquinol_The_Other_Half_of_the_CoQ10_Story
- Cuneo, Michael. "Receding Gums and Periodontal Gum Diesease - 5 Ways to Reverse Gum Recession." Ezine Articles. (Accessed 3/13/09)http://ezinearticles.com/?Receding-Gums-and-Periodontal-Gum-Disease---5-Ways-to-Reverse-Gum-Recession&id=1529149
- Damian, Maxwell, et al. "Conenzyme Q10 Combined With Mild Hypothermia After Cardiac Arrest." American Heart Association. 2004. (Accessed 3/13/09) http://www.circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/110/19/3011
- Katsman, Natalie. "Anti-Wrinkle Protection: Coenyzme Q10." Pioneer Thinking. January 14, 2004. (Accessed 3/13/09)http://www.pioneerthinking.com/nk_q10.html
- Langsjoen, Peter. "Introduction to Coenzyme Q10." Washington University. (Accessed 3/13/09) http://faculty.washington.edu/ely/coenzq10.html
- Langsjoen, Peter, et al. "Treatment of essential hypertension with Coenzyme Q10." Institute for Biomedical Research. 1994 (Accessed 3/13/09) http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T9P-47SV3D3-26&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=715aac52f0d8985c088dc96149e2891a
- Masterjohn, Chris. "Coenzyme Q10 (Ubiquinone)." Cholesterol and Health. August 2005. (Accessed 3/13/09)http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Coenzyme-Q10.html
- Mayo Clinic. "Coenzyme Q10." (Accessed 3/13/09)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coenzyme-q10/NS_patient-coenzymeq10
- National Cancer Institute. "Coenzyme Q10 (PDQ)." (Accessed 3/13/09) http://www.cancer.gov/cancer_information/doc.aspx?viewid=0E5B4097-610C-4A49-844F-D935F1D7BB07
- Neurology. "Long-term effects of migraine on cognitive function." 2005. (Accessed 3/13/09) http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/full/neurology;64/4/586
- Optimal Heart Health. "Coenzyme Q10 Benefits for Hypertension." (Accessed 3/13/09) http://www.optimal-heart-health.com/coenzyme_q10_benefits.html
- Smart Skin Care. "Can coenzyme Q10 help protect and repair your skin?" (Accessed 3/13/09) http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/coq10.html
- Stocker, Roland. "Possible Health Benefits of Coenzyme Q10." Oregon State University. (Accessed 3/13/09)http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/f-w02/coenzymeq10.html
- Teknoscienze. "Nanotechnology." (Accessed 3/13/09) http://www.teknoscienze.com/leafpdf/schema/index.html?folder=144&pagina=10
- University of Maryland Medical Center. "Coenzyme 10." (Accessed 3/13/09) http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/coenzyme-q10-000295.htm
- Viva woman. "Younger skin with Coenzyme Q10?" October 23, 2007. (Accessed 3/13/09) http://www.vivawoman.net/2007/10/23/younger-skin-with-coenzyme-q10/
- Wilson, Peter. "Coenzyme Q10 in Skin Care Products is Good Right? Wrong." Ezine articles. (Accessed 3/13/09)http://ezinearticles.com/?Coenzyme-Q10-in-Skin-Care-Products-is-Good-Right?-Wrong&id=1482766