To get the most mileage out of your good brushing, flossing and rinsing habits, see your dentist twice a year. Beyond giving you a thorough cleaning, your dentist will identify any trouble spots and stop gingivitis, tooth decay and gum disease in its tracks. If you're particularly prone to plaque attacks, your dentist can also apply a thin coating of sealant to the chewing surfaces of your teeth.
For more tips on keeping your teeth clean and healthy, take a look at the links below.
More Great Links
- American Dental Association. "Plaque." (Aug. 29, 2011) http://www.ada.org/3101.aspx?currentTab=1
- American Dental Hygienists Association. "Proper Flossing." (Aug. 29, 2011) http://www.adha.org/oralhealth/flossing.htm
- Carr, Alan, D.M.D. "Dental Floss or Water Pick: Which is Better?" Mayo Clinic. (Aug. 29, 2011) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dental-floss/AN01782
- Colgate. "Periodontitis." (Sept. 6, 2011) http://www.colgate.com/app/CP/US/EN/OC/Information/Articles/Oral-and-Dental-Health-Basics/Common-Concerns/Gum-Disease/article/Periodontitis.cvsp
- Delta Dental. "Antimicrobial Mouth Rinse." (Aug. 29, 2011) http://www.deltamass.com/oralhealth/articles/Mouthrinse.html
- Doheny, Kathleen. "10 Toothbrushing Mistakes." WebMD. (Aug. 29, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/healthy-teeth-10/brushing-teeth-mistakes
- Freeman, David. "Flossing Teeth: No More Excuses!" WebMD. (Aug. 30, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/healthy-teeth-10/flossing-floss-sticks
- Listerine. "Listerine Antiseptic Mouthwash." (Aug. 30, 2011) http://www.listerine.com/products/product-original
- Oral-B. "Fill the Gaps in Your Oral Care Routine With Spongy Floss or Dental Tape." (Sept. 3, 2011) http://www.oralb.com/topics/fill-the-gaps-in-your-oral-care-routine-with-spongy-floss-or-dental-tape.aspx
- Rondon, Nayda. "Oral Rinses: Mouth Rinses and Mouthwashes." Consumer Guide to Dentistry. (Aug. 30, 2011) http://www.yourdentistryguide.com/oral-rinse/
- Science Daily. "New Bacterial Species Found in Human Mouth." Aug. 11, 2008. (Aug. 30, 2011) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080810214006.htm
- Simply Teeth. "Diet and Tooth Decay." (Aug . 29, 2011) http://www.simplyteeth.com/category/sections/adult/caringteethgums/DietDecay.asp?category=adult§ion=4&page=5
- Simply Teeth. "Mouth Rinses and Mouthwashes." (Aug. 29, 2011) http://www.simplyteeth.com/category/sections/adult/CaringTeethGums/Mouthrinses.asp?category=adult§ion=4&page=9
- WebMD. "Foods That Stain Your Teeth." (Aug. 29, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/healthy-teeth-10/slideshow-foods-stain-teeth
- WebMD. "Plaque and Your Teeth." (Aug. 29, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/plaque-and-your-teeth
Toothpaste has a long, strange history. Check it out with HowStuffWorks.