If you're nervous about making a good first impression and worried about whether the two of you will hit it off, then above all else, you need to relax. Remember, this is just one date, and it's just date one. Before going out, spend a few minutes (that's all it takes) breathing to help relieve any pre-date jitters. Breathe deeply and slowly, and concentrate only on your breath.
Your first few dates are all about getting to know another person. Sometimes there are sparks, sometimes there aren't, and often, you'll at least find yourself with a new friend from the experience. You can't force a long-term relationship -- it'll either happen or it won't -- so stay in the moment during your date, remember to breathe and have fun getting to know the other person.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Baker, Katie. "Seven New Rules for the First Date." Newsweek. Oct. 20, 2010. (Nov. 14, 2010)http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/20/patti-stanger-7-new-rules-for-the-first-date.html
- Breslin, Susannah. "10 first date rules for guys." CNN. Feb. 23, 2010. (Nov. 14, 2010)http://articles.cnn.com/2010-02-23/living/tf.first.date.rules.guys_1_hands-first-dates-smile?_s=PM:LIVING
- eHarmony. "Master the Art of Conversation." (Nov. 14, 2010)http://advice.eharmony.com/article/master-the-art-of-conversation.html
- Fenamore, Laura. "Confidence, Casualness and Care: The Three C's For Date One." eHarmony. (Nov. 14, 2010)http://advice.eharmony.com/article/confidence-casualness-and-care-the-three-cs-for-date-one.html
- Freeman, Shanna. "How Flirting Works." HowStuffWorks. 2008. (Nov. 14, 2010)https://people.howstuffworks.com/flirting.htm
- Greenwald, Rachel. "Seal The Romance Deal And 'Have Him At Hello'." The Huffington Post. March 9, 2010. (Nov. 14, 2010)http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rachel-greenwald/have-him-at-hello-author_b_490702.html
- Irvine, Martha. "Note to cell phone junkies: Txting + date = :(" Msnbc.com. Feb. 12, 2009. (Nov. 14, 2010)http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29164464/
- Kovacs, Jenny Stamos. "Blissing Out: 10 Relaxation Techniques to Reduce Stress On-the-Spot." Feb. 23, 2010. (Nov. 14, 2010)http://www.webmd.com/balance/stress-management/features/blissing-out-10-relaxation-techniques-reduce-stress-spot
- Morgan, Nick. "The Truth Behind the Smile and Other Myths -- When Body Language Lies." Harvard Business School. Sept. 30, 2002. (Nov. 14, 2010)http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/3123.html
- Search Your Love Online Dating Service. "Dating Statistics." Sept. 13, 2006. (Nov. 14, 2010)http://www.syl.com/singles/datingstatistics.html
- Social Issues Research Centre (SIRC). "SIRC Guide to Flirting." (Nov. 14, 2010)http://www.sirc.org/publik/flirt.html
- U.S. Census Bureau. "American FactFinder, Subject tables, 2008." 2008. (Nov. 14, 2010)
- U.S. Census Bureau. "Families and Living Arrangements." 2010. (Nov. 14, 2010)http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/hh-fam.html
Does sapiosexuality really exist? HowStuffWorks raises an eyebrow and takes a look.