We've come a long way. We've talked about skin tone, the right lipstick to wear, the right clothes to buy and even the right hair color to get. Now it's time for the last detail -- nail polish. Just like everything else, there are rules for choosing the right nail polish to accentuate your skin tone.
Women love manicures and pedicures. They spend a lot of money on them, too. If they didn't, there wouldn't be a nail salon on the corner of every other city block. If you know your skin tone, you'll be better equipped to pick out the right shade of nail polish next time you go to one. People with fair skin should use a polish with a blue base, and people with darker skin should use a polish with a yellow base [source: Blakey].
But it's not always that simple. If you happen to be a medium skin tone, you're in luck. You have the most versatile skin tone of all. This allows you to straddle the line between blue and yellow bases. However, your best bet is a nice burgundy color. If your skin is very dark you can play with deep colors like purple and dark red, and for the light-skinned, blue-based crowd, most polishes with the name "berry" in the title will help you look your best [source: Isabella].
It really is amazing how much our skin tones determines what does and doesn't look good on us. Knowing yours will help you look and feel great. It will also help you save money and it might even save you some time in front of the mirror.
Check out the next page for links for more articles on skin care.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Agostina. "How To Choose Lip Colors." Makeup 2 Beauty. May 8, 2007. (July 20, 2009)http://makeup2beauty.blogspot.com/2007/05/how-to-choose-lip-colors.html
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Skin Cancer Fact Sheet." 2009. (July 20, 2009)http://www.aad.org/media/background/factsheets/fact_skincancer.html
- Aspland, Mercedes. "What Colour Clothes work with your Skin?" Article Snatch. (July 20, 2009)http://www.articlesnatch.com/Article/What-Colour-Clothes-work-with-your-Skin-/387397
- Blakey, Adam. "How To Choose The Right Nail Color." Ezine Articles. (July 20, 2009)http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Choose-The-Right-Nail-Color&id=610037
- Hair Finder. "Hair Color & Skin Tone." (July 20, 2009)http://www.hairfinder.com/hairquestions/haircolorskintone.htm
- Hair Style Magazines. "Fun Hair Facts." (July 20, 2009)http://www.hair-style-magazines.com/hairfacts.html
- Isabella, Kalee. "Nail Polish." Love to Know. (July 20, 2009)http://skincare.lovetoknow.com/Nail_Polish
- Jerome, Louie. "The World's Longest Fingernails." Purple Slinky. Oct. 6, 2007. (July 20, 2009)http://purpleslinky.com/trivia/people/the-worlds-longest-fingernails/
- Lady Language. "Ask The Lady…Clothing Color and Skin Tone." May 2, 2008. (July 20, 2009)http://www.ladylanguage.com/blog/?p=244
- Leider, Polly. "The Right Hair Color Can Do Wonders." CBS News. March 27, 2006. (July 20, 2009)http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/03/27/earlyshow/contributors/davidevangelista/main1441049.shtml
- Romolini, Jennifer. "How much do you spend each year to look good?" Shine. Aug. 14, 2008. (July 20, 2009)http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/how-much-do-you-spend-each-year-to-look-good-236943/
- Short Hair Style. "Hair Color Advice." (July 20, 2009)http://www.short-hair-style.com/hair-color-advice.html
- Woollard, Deidre. "The World's Most Expensive Lipstick and Mascara." Luxist. Sept. 20, 2006. (July 20, 2009)http://www.luxist.com/2006/09/20/the-worlds-most-expensive-lipstick-and-mascara/
- Woman Junction. "How To Choose Lip Color." (July 20, 2009)http://www.womanjunction.com/topic/makeover/lipstick/how-to-choose-lip-color/