If surgery is too expensive and creams just don't cut it, perhaps some good old-fashioned camouflage is in order. Try a light-reflecting concealer -- but be sure to choose one that's not white or gray because those won't work very well. Look for a yellow or gold base that will counteract the bluish color of the circles [source: Mayo Clinic]. If the concealer is too light, you'll end up with light circles instead of dark ones. Follow the concealer with a translucent face powder to seal it.
Some makeup artists recommend using a good under-eye moisturizing cream containing glycerin, sodium hyaluronate and vitamin E, which will hydrate the skin. They also suggest using one that contains vitamin K because it may constrict veins and capillaries. You can even mix the concealer with the moisturizer so it goes on more smoothly.
Try calling attention to your brow area and away from the under eye area by curling your lashes. Don't apply eyeliner or mascara to your lower lashes because it will draw too much attention to that area [source: Wadyka]. For a wide-eyed look, line the inner corners of your eyes with white eyeliner.
For more information, visit the links on the following page.
- Can a cream really work as well as a face-lift?
- Does worrying cause wrinkles?
- Could I be allergic to makeup?
- How to Brighten a Dull Complexion
- Is mineral makeup really natural?
- How to Determine Your Skin Tone
- How to Even Out Your Skin Tone
- How Botox Works
- How to Make a Face Mask
- Can vitamins protect my skin from the sun?
- Bouchez, Colette. "Banish the Bags Under Your Eyes." WebMD. (Accessed 8/18/09) http://women.webmd.com/features/banish-the-bags-under-your-eyes
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). "Help Your Child Gain Control over Asthma." (Accessed 8/18/09)http://www.epa.gov/asthma/pdfs/ll_asthma_brochure.pdf
- DermaNetwork. "Foto Facial™ Intense Pulse Light/IPL Treatments." (Accessed 8/18/09). http://www.dermanetwork.org/information/foto_facial_ipl.asp
- DocShop. "Undereye Circles." Einstein Industries. (Accessed 8/18/09)http://www.docshop.com/education/dermatology/skin-flaws/undereye-circles/
- FacialPlasticSurgery. "Fat Grafting Overview." 3/8/08. (Accessed 8/18/09)http://www.facialplasticsurgery.net/fat_grafting.htm
- Ghool Skool. "Halloween Makeup: Tips, Tricks and Techniques." (Accessed 8/18/09)http://www.ghoulskool.com/makeup.htm
- Mayo Clinic. "Dark Circles Under Eyes" 12/11/08. (Accessed 8/18/09)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dark-circles-under-eyes/MY00346
- Natural Homeremedies. "Concealer: Hiding Under Eye Dark Circles." (Accessed 8/18/09)http://www.natural-homeremedies.com/makeup-articles/concealer.htm
- Safe Cosmetics. "Under Eye Bags and Dark Circles." (Accessed 8/18/09)http://www.safecosmetics.co.uk/undereye-bags-dark-circles.html
- Wadyka, Sally. "12 Tricks for Radiant Eyes: Plagued by Dark Circles, Puffiness or the Wrong-Color Shadow? Top Experts Reveal Their Most Eye-Opening Secrets." Shape. (Accessed 8/18/09) http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0846/is_6_22/ai_96277551/