Petroleum jelly plays an important role in wound care, in minor and major injuries.
As long as they're kept clean, minor cuts and scrapes generally heal just fine without treatment, but petroleum jelly or an antibacterial ointment can help speed things up and possibly prevent or minimize scarring.
When it comes to larger wounds, keeping the moisture level similar to that of healthy skin gives the skin its best chances of healing. Clinical studies have found that when wounds are kept moist they heal more quickly than those exposed to the air, which has a drying effect. Moisture also decreases inflammation and minimizes infection rates. This idea is called moist wound healing, and can be as simple as keeping a wound clean, covered with petroleum jelly and bandage.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- "Autumn Kisses." The Tyra Banks Show. 2006. http://telepicturesblog.warnerbros.com/tyrashow/2006/12/autumn_kisses.php
- "Dermatologists' Top 10 Tips for Relieving Dry Skin." AgingSkinNet. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/winter_skin.html
- "Evidence to support minor burns claims." BMJ. http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/327/7426/1289-a/DC1
- Francis, Meagan. "Emergency First Aid for Babies and Toddles: Burns & Insect Stings." Parents.com. 2009. http://www.parents.com/baby/health/first-aid-emergencies/emergency-first-aid-babies-toddlers/?page=2
- "Hair Dye and Hair Relaxers." U.S. Food and Drug Administration. 2005. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ByAudience/ForWomen/ucm118527.htm
- "MESSAGE FROM TYRA: What's Up with the Vaseline?" The Tyra Banks Show. 2006. http://telepicturesblog.warnerbros.com/tyrashow/2006/09/message_from_tyra_whats_up_wit.php
- "Mature Skin." American Academy of Dermatology. 2009. http://www.aad.org/public/publications/pamphlets/sun_mature.html
- "Moist Healing and Wound Care Including Burns (Advantages and Current Approaches)." Burnsurgery.org. http://www.burnsurgery.org/Betaweb/Modules/moisthealing/part_2bc.htm
- "Moisturizers 101: The basics of softer skin." MayoClinic.com. 2008. http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/moisturizers/SN00042/METHOD=print
- "Oil (petroleum) Basics." EIA Energy Kids. Energy Information Administration. 2002. http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/kids/energy.cfm?page=oil_home-basics#Howused
- Okan, Denis, Kevin Woo, Elizabeth Ayello, Gary Sibbald. "The Role of Moisture Balance in Wound Healing." Advances in Skin & Wound Care: The Journal for Prevention and Healing. 2007. http://www.nursingcenter.com/prodev/ce_article.asp?tid=688502
- "Petroleum jelly." Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. 1997. http://www.fao.org/docrep/W6355E/w6355e0p.htm
- "petrolatum-mineral oil-lanolin-ceresin ointment." National Cancer Institute Drug Dictionary. 2009. http://www.cancer.gov/Templates/drugdictionary.aspx?CdrID=555065
- "Sunburn first aid." MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia. U.S. National Library of Medicine. National Institutes of Health. 2008. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000062.htm
- "Vaseline lip balm named the beauty product women cannot live without." Telegraph. 2009. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/4075501/Vaseline-lip-balm-named-the-beauty-product-women-cannot-live-without.html
- Vonhof, John. Fixing Your Feet. 2009. http://fixingyourfeet.com/
- "What is Petrolatum." Dermasil Labs. http://www.dermasillabs.com/what-is-petrolatum.html
- "Winter Dry Skin." University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. 2005. http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/skinhealth/winterskin.html
- "Wound Dressings and Other Accessory Products." The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. 2009. http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/wound_care/hic_wound_dressings_and_other_accessory_products.aspx
While some antibiotics can, in fact, help treat acne, the issue of antibiotic resistance is limiting our options. Learn more about antibiotics and acne.