Antioxidants are widely believed to be beneficial for both cardiovascular health and cancer prevention. They're found in all sorts of foods, including fruits, vegetables, seafood and oils. Antioxidants' free-radical-fighting activities destroy molecules that can damage healthy cells, and as it turns out, they're as great for skin cells as they are for every other cell in the body.
While many different antioxidants can be beneficial to the skin, two in particular get lots of attention:
- Vitamin C -- Builds collagen for plump, tight skin. Find it in whole grains, apples and citrus fruits. Aim for 75 milligrams a day [source: Edgar].
- Vitamin E -- Protects cell membranes and "boosts" skin-based nutrients that fight off UV damage. Find it in wheat germ oil, almonds, and peanut butter. Aim for 15 milligrams a day [source: Edgar].
Other skin-beautifying antioxidants include selenium, thiamine, beta-carotene and zinc.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Basic skin care routine. SmartSkinCare.http://www.smartskincare.com/skincarebasics/basicroutine.html
- Bouchez, Colette. Nutrients for Healthy Skin: Inside and Out. WebMD.http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/skin-nutrition
- Edgar, Jolene. "The Nutrients Your Skin Needs Now." Fitness Magazine.http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/beauty/skin-care/clear/nutrients-skin-needs/?page=1
- Gold, Alana. "Health Benefits of Drinking Water." Truestar Health.http://www.truestarhealth.com/members/cm_archives12ML3P1A1.html
- Janes, Beth. "Back to basics." Self.http://www.self.com/beauty/2009/04/skin-care-basics
- Nordenberg, Tamar. "Feed Your Skin the Nutrients It Needs." Discovery Health.http://health.discovery.com/centers/healthbeauty/beautybasics/skinnutrition.html
- Robinson, Dana. "Healthy Diet, Healthy Skin." WeightWatchers.com.http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=59401&sc=3048
- Six Tips for Healthy Hair and Skin. Weil.http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02032/healhty-hair-and-skin.html
- Skin Basics. iVillage.http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/skin-basics.html
- Skin care: Top 5 habits for healthy skin. MayoClinic.http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/skin-care/SN00003
HowStuffWorks looks at the debate between morning and evening showers.