Make Your Lips Kissable
OK, so our lips are red, but that's skin, too -- skin very much in need of protection. In fact, as you likely know from winter months of braving the cold, lips are prone to dryness and painful cracking. Even though they face the world 24-7, lip skin is very thin, doesn't stand up well against the sun's harmful rays and lacks helpful oil glands [source: Fox News].
However, you can ensure that your lips are always ready to pucker up by following a few simple tips. For example, it may be tempting, but don't lick your lips. Instead, keep a lip balm with beeswax or petroleum handy. You can also try creams with an oil base. Whether you go with a balm or cream, protect your lips from ultraviolet rays by choosing a product with SPF. Heading out to hit the slopes or walk to work in wintery weather? Just cover your lips completely by pulling your scarf up over your mouth [source: Northwestern Memorial Hospital].
Now you won't have to just blow kisses to your loved one!
- CNN Health. "Sleep deprived? Your looks may suffer."Dec. 15, 2010. (Dec. 22, 2010) http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/12/15/sleep.deprived.looks/index.html?iref=allsearch
- FamilyDoctor.org. "Skin Problems: Dry, Itchy Skin."Dec. 2009. (Dec. 22, 2010) http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/skin/treatment/814.html
- Fox News. "Get Better Skin in 5 Steps." Aug. 27, 2010. (Dec. 22, 2010) http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/08/27/better-skin-steps/
- Gibson, Lawrence E., M.D. "What are the best foods for healthy skin?" MayoClinic.com. June 30, 2010. (Dec. 22, 2010) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-skin/AN01863
- Griffin, Morgan R. "What's Causing Your Dry Skin Problem?" WebMD. 2009. (Dec. 21, 2010) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/dry-skin-causes
- Jaret, Peter. "Men's Grooming: Skin Care for Your Body." WebMD. (Dec. 22, 2010) http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/advances-skin-care-9/men-body
- Jaret, Peter. "Men's Skin Care for Your Face." WebMD. July 21, 2009. (Dec. 22, 2010) http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/advances-skin-care-9/men-shaving-grooming
- KidsHealth. "Your Skin." June 2010. (Dec. 22, 2010) http://kidshealth.org/kid/htbw/skin.html
- Lerner, Abby. "Feed Your Skin." MensHealth. (Dec. 22, 2010) http://www.menshealth.com/spotlight/skin/feed_your_skin.php
- Marchione, Renee. "Save Face." Men's Fitness. (Dec. 22, 2010) http://www.mensfitness.com/lifestyle/mens_grooming/88
- MayoClinic.com. "Dry Skin." Nov. 23, 2010. (Dec. 22, 2010) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dry-skin/DS00560
- MensHealth. "7 Steps to a Clean, Smooth Face." (Dec. 22, 2010) http://www.menshealth.com/style/grooming/7-Steps-to-a-Clean-Fresh-Face.php
- MensHealth. "Sharp Objects Can Be Good for Your Skin." (Dec. 22, 2010) http://www.menshealth.com/style/grooming/sharp-objects-can-be-good-for-your-skin.php
- MensHealth. "Show Some Skin." (Dec. 22, 2010) http://www.menshealth.com/style/grooming/show-some-skin.php
- MensHealth. "Winter Forecast: Dry and Chapped." (Dec. 22, 2010) http://www.menshealth.com/spotlight/skin/winter-skin-savers.php
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital. "Ten Tips to Help Relieve Dry Winter Skin." Jan. 15, 2010. (Dec. 22, 2010) http://www.nmh.org/nm/winter+skin+care
- Orenstein, Beth W. "A Man's Guide to Looking and Feeling Younger." Everyday Health. June 23, 2010. (Dec. 22, 2010) http://www.everydayhealth.com/mens-health/anti-aging-guide.aspx
- Palmer, Glen. "Save Face: A Gentleman's Guide to Winter Skin Care." UPTOWN. Dec. 6, 2010. (Dec. 22, 2010) http://uptownmagazine.com/2010/12/save-face-a-gentleman%E2%80%99s-guide-to-winter-skin-care/
- Sorgen, Carol. "Grooming Essentials for Men: Skin Care and Hair Products." WebMD. 2007. (Dec. 21, 2010) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/grooming-essentials-men
- University of Maryland Medical Center. "Dermatology: Anatomy of the Skin."Feb. 19, 2008. (Dec. 22, 2010) http://www.umm.edu/dermatology-info/anatomy.htm
Are you looking for great foot moisturizing tips for men? Visit Discovery Health to learn about the top 5 foot moisturizing tips for men.