The skin care regimen you follow and products you use can get you only so far. You also need to consider a holistic approach to keeping your skin smooth. In fact, did you know that when it comes to skin challenges, such as eczema, stress can bring on flare-ups?
So to make sure that you don't sabotage your other skin care efforts, put stress management at the top of your list. This may seem daunting considering just how many stressors we have coming our way daily, but it's certainly possible.
To curb the stress in your life, the first thing you need to do is put a name to it! Do you feel pressure from family issues, health concerns or your job? By identifying your stress, you can then determine if there are authentic steps you can take to mitigate it.
That said, some things may not be able to be changed. In those instances, add some healthy coping techniques to your life. For example, try meditating, getting physically active, playing or listening to music, practicing yoga and connecting with friends and family in social settings. Practicing these coping mechanisms will help your inner peace visibly shine through in the form of healthier skin.
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Saving Face 101: How to Customize Your Skin Care Routine With Your Skin Type." Nov. 10, 2009. (Jan. 17, 2011) http://www.aad.org/media/background/news/Releases/Saving_Face_ 101_How_to_Customize_Your_Skin_Care_Ro/
- FamilyDoctor.org. "Atopic Dermatitis." August 2008. (Jan. 17, 2011) http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/skin/disorders/917.html
- FamilyDoctor.org. "Eczema: Tips on How to Care for Your Skin." December 2010. (Jan. 17, 2011) http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/skin/disorders/176.printerview.html
- FamilyDoctor.org. "Skin Problems: Dry, Itchy Skin." December 2009. (Dec. 22, 2010) http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/skin/treatment/814.html
- Griffin, Morgan R. "What's Causing Your Dry Skin Problems?" WebMD. Aug. 23, 2010. (Jan. 17, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/dry-skin-causes
- MayoClinic.com. "Dry Skin." Nov. 23, 2010. (Dec. 22, 2010) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dry-skin/DS00560
- Mayo Clinic. "Dry skin. Lifestyle and home remedies." Nov. 23, 2010. (Jan. 4, 2011) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dry-skin/DS00560/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies
- Mayo Clinic. "Keratosis pilaris." July 10, 2010. (Jan. 17, 2011) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/keratosis-pilaris/DS00769
- Mayo Clinic. "Stress basics." March 19, 2009. (Jan. 19, 2011) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stress-management/MY00435
- Mayo Clinic. "Stress relievers: Top 10 picks to tame stress." Sept. 28, 2010. (Jan. 19, 2011) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/stress-relievers/MY01373
- MedlinePlus. "Dry skin." Aug. 8, 2009. (Jan. 4, 2010) http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003250.htm
- News in Health. "Itchy, Scaly Skin?" August 2010. (Jan. 17, 2011) http://newsinhealth.nih.gov/issue/Aug2010/Feature2
- NHS. "Lanolin/White Soft Paraffin/Liquid Paraffin (Lanolin/White soft paraffin/Liquid paraffin default preparation)." (Jan. 17, 2011) http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Eczema-(atopic)/Pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condition=Dry%20skin&medicine=Lanolin/White%20soft%20paraffin/Liquid%20paraffin&preparation=Lanolin/White%20soft%20paraffin/Liquid%20paraffin%20default%20preparation
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital. "Ten Tips to Help Relieve Dry Winter Skin." Jan. 15, 2010. (Dec. 22, 2010) http://www.nmh.org/nm/winter+skin+care
- Oakley, Amanda. "Soaps & cleansers." DermNet NZ. September 2010. (Jan. 4, 2011) http://www.dermnetnz.org/treatments/cleansers.html
- Skinsight. "Dry Skin (Xerosis)." December 2008. (Jan. 17, 2011) http://www.skinsight.com/adult/xerosis.htm
- University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics. "Winter Dry Skin." 2005. (Jan. 4, 2011) http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/skinhealth/winterskin.html
- WebMD. "America Asks About Household Irritants. 7 Tips to Soothe Your Dry, Itchy Skin." http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/america-asks-10/dry-skin
- WebMD. "America Asks About Household Irritants. Household Irritants: Skin-Friendly Cleaning Tips for Your Family." Aug. 29, 2010. (Jan. 17, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/america-asks-10/cleaning-tips
- Wright, Suzanne. "Beyond First Blush: An Up-Close Look at Natural Skin Products." March 17, 2009. (Jan. 4, 2011) http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/beyond-first-blush-an-upclose-look-at-natural-skin-care-products
Women aren't the only ones who battle oily skin. Get skin care advice for men with oily skin.