Are All Face Lotions Oil-free?
Not all face lotions are created equal -- nor are they all oil-free. Different skin types have different needs, and if you've browsed the skin care aisle at the store lately, you know there are products available for every type of skin.
Facial lotions are typically either water-based or oil-based. Water-based lotions are oil-free and work well for people with normal, oily or acne-prone skin. Oil-based moisturizers are good for people with dry skin -- they're heavier than water-based products and contain the oils people with dry skin are missing [source: Davis]. However, just because you have oily skin doesn't necessarily mean you need an oil-free facial lotion. While oil-free lotions are formulated for oily skin, some oil-based moisturizers may still work for you. For example, you could use an oil-based lotion that's a gel -- it's lighter and less greasy than a cream, and it's less likely to clog pores [source: Prevention]. If you've tried dozens of facial lotions and are still having trouble finding the right one for your skin type, ask your dermatologist for a recommendation.
To learn more about oil-free facial lotions, check out the links on the following page.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- American Academy of Dermatology. "Skin Care for People with Acne." AcneNet. (Accessed 9/20/09) http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnenet/acneguidelines_new.html
- Brown, Bobbi. "Care for the Skin You're In." Prevention Magazine. October 27, 2004. (Accessed 9/13/2009) http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/care-for-the-skin-you-re-in/809b88dc78803110VgnVCM10000013281eac____/lifelong.beauty/makeup/bobbi.brown
- Bouchez, Colette. "23 Ways to Reduce Wrinkles." (Accessed 10/5/09) Keep reading to learn about even more ways an oil-free moisturizer can bring out the best in your skin.
- Davis, Susan. "10 Winter Skin Care Tips." WebMD. (Accessed 9/20/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/ten-winter-skin-care-tips
- Libov, Charlotte. "Adult Acne: Why You Get It, How to Fight It." (Accessed 10/5/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/features/adult-acne-why-you-get-it-how-fight-it
- Prevention Magazine. "Acne." 10/28/04. (Accessed 9/13/2009) http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/acne/3aba88dc78803110VgnVCM10000013281eac____/health/conditions.treatments/acne/0/0/2
- Prevention Magazine. "Clear Skin for Grown-Ups." 2007. (Accessed 9/12/2009) http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/clear-skin-for-grown-ups/df673116c61e8110VgnVCM20000012281eac____/lifelong.beauty/anti.aging.arsenal/facial.care/0/0/2
- Prevention Magazine. "We Look 10 Years Younger." 11/15/08. (Accessed 9/12/2009) http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/we-look-10-years-younger/fd4b642bc21ad110VgnVCM10000013281eac____/lifelong.beauty/anti.aging.arsenal/0/0/0/3
- Suzman, Leesa. "Look 7 Years Younger." WebMD. (Accessed 9/20/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/features/seven-years-younger
- WebMD. "Oily Skin: Solutions That Work -- No Matter What Your Age." (Accessed 10/5/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/acne/features/oily-skin-solutions-that-work?page=2
- WebMD. "Skin Conditions: Teenage Acne." (Accessed 9/20/09) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/teenage-acne